Do I need to “season” my new shelf?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

ilkaplan

Do I need to “season” my new shelf?

Post by ilkaplan »

I just got a new Skutt Kiln, with new shelf, and kiln wash powder. My first two firings had lots of adherence to the glass (four of wash applied), but I am noticing that the wash that stays on the shelf is looking more paint-like and firm. The first application was pretty dusty even after firing and drying.
Does the wash adhere better after multiple full fuse firings?
Is the Skutt kiln wash not ideal?
Kevin Midgley

Re: Do I need to “season” my new shelf?

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Heat shelf.
Turn off power.
brush on kiln wash.
Yes it will sizzle.
Repeat until you cannot see shelf surface.
Helps to apply at right angles to previous coating.
Different kiln washes have different amounts of clay that cause it to stick or not stick to shelf.
Some people swear by Primo.
Bullseye's is good.
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

ilkaplan wrote:I just got a new Skutt Kiln, with new shelf, and kiln wash powder. My first two firings had lots of adherence to the glass (four of wash applied), but I am noticing that the wash that stays on the shelf is looking more paint-like and firm. The first application was pretty dusty even after firing and drying.
Does the wash adhere better after multiple full fuse firings?
Is the Skutt kiln wash not ideal?
Some folks (self) give the shelf a light rubbing(please use ventilation, dust is bad) with a cloth or dry paper towel (panyhose are great but my wife doesn't wear them :o ) after first firing with the 4 layers to smooth out any brush pattern, then give another light coat. Then just periodically. Same with molds. If you see scabbing of kiln wash after a fire it's time to wash off and start fresh - it's only gonna get worse and it's hard to smooth over a scab with wash.
*I'm a Primo man but BE is good too - have used both, small subtle differences.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.
ilkaplan

Post by ilkaplan »

Thanks. Wash seems more solid with”hot”application technique.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I only recently learned to apply the primer to a hot shelf. My practice now is with a very warm shelf.....with the kiln at about 120F or so. I was surprised and pleased to see the result of using BE primer at their recommended mix ration: 5 to 1 water to powder. I was making it more thick and it was flaky after a short usage. With a warm shelf you can get a lot of coats on of really thin mixture in a short amount of time.
Judd

Post by Judd »

I season my shelves all the time. I start off with a little olive oil and garlic, then add rosemary for that sharp flavor...
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

Funny funny man. Took me the briefest minute to laugh aloud.