Drilling holes in stone

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vonon

Drilling holes in stone

Post by Vonon »

I want to use a piece of stone (probably marble) as a base for a glass landscape. I will need to drill holes to hold the supports but don't have the equipment to do that. What type of store/shop could I approach to do that for me? Display method is always the stumbling block for me. Learning to weld would be helpful too but I'm too much of a scaredy-cat for that.
Vonon
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Drilling holes in stone

Post by Brad Walker »

Two options come to mind. One is a place that makes and installs granite countertops. They can drill holes. The other would be a place that fabricates headstones. Never tried either, but probably worth a few calls.
Marty

Post by Marty »

If you have a drill you can get diamond bits (try HIS Glassworks). Either submerge the stone in water or build up a dam around the hole for water (clay, playdough, duck tape etc.). It's easier than drilling glass- use light pressure and raise the bit every few seconds to clear the swarf out of the hole.
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Thanks Brad and Marty. I have a drill but thought I'd have to have a drill press to keep the hole true vertical. I'll give it a try on a piece of scrap stone. Then i'll probably go see a professional.
Vonon
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

The stand for this piece is made from two 6x12" marble tiles from Home Depot sandwiching a 6 mm piece of glass (all held together with silicone). The little posts (you can see one behind the bird on the left side of the picture) are stainless steel welding rods, cut into small pieces. There are two rods in the back and two in front keeping the glass upright, just in case someone bumps into it. The holes were drilled in only the top piece of marble, prior to the base being assembled. I let my husband drill the holes -- ever since I decided to hold a piece of unfired glass while using a hollow-core drill bit, I am a little squeamish with drills (can we say stitches in multiple fingers? :) ). We have a metal shop at work, and I had someone snip the welding rods for me. You could also use wooden dowels or I've also seen some metal pegs that I think are used for shelving which would work As for the rest of it, the birds are vintage ceramic pieces from an antique store. This piece is called Within, Without and is a tribute to someone I lost.

I hope this gives you some ideas on the stand!

Dana
DSC_0083-small.jpg
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Dana, Thank you. Your piece is beautiful and quite spiritual. The clear glass in between enhances the dreamy quality. BTW, I often visit your site and learn something each time.
Vonon
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Your welcome -- maybe it sparked some ideas :)

Dana