kiln shelf

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AJK25

kiln shelf

Post by AJK25 »

I need to buy a 24" x 24" kiln shelf to fuse glass (5/8" or 3/4" thick). Does anyone know a good place to purchase this?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: kiln shelf

Post by Brad Walker »

The big issue with kiln shelves is the cost of shipping them, so it's best to find someone close to you who sells them so you can pick the shelf up rather than have it shipped.

Where are you located?
AJK25

Post by AJK25 »

in chicago.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Try Ed Hoy's in Warrenville. Or if there's a pottery supplier near you, ask if they carry a shelf that would work
AJK25

Post by AJK25 »

Thanks Brad.
Michael Stevens

Post by Michael Stevens »

I used a bread stone. as a kiln shelf. where I live there aren't kiln shelves for glass and pottery shelves have too many micro holes
AJK25

Post by AJK25 »

Thanks!
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

The micro holes in kiln shelves are filled with the multiple layers of kiln wash you apply.
Not only finding kiln shelves can be difficult but finding smooth non gouged ones can be difficult.
Potters don't care if they have gouged shelves and the suppliers take little care of their inventory.
The traditional way of protecting the surface of the shelves is to ship them in wood crates with straw between them.
Straw doesn't offer much protection.
Dick

Post by Dick »

If you are not buying an extruded shelf that has been ground flat, it is a good idea to take a 24" level and inspect them. Most are made so quickly that a lot of them warp. I used to go in person, and sometimes have to sort through 30 to find 1 good one. Don't do it anymore as I use the extruded. More money, but less headaches.
AJK25

Post by AJK25 »

Thanks Dick.