wet saw suggestions

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michael Stevens

wet saw suggestions

Post by Michael Stevens »

I have diamond bladed circular saw, but was thinking about trying to make a water Resevoir. to cut pattern bars Nd things it's out of my budget to buy a tile saw. any one make a diy tile saw
Kevin Midgley

Re: wet saw suggestions

Post by Kevin Midgley »

I suggest blade stiffeners.
Your issue will be keeping your cuts straight and my issue is trying to figure out how to cut pattern bars with a blade that has no glass waste. Bit of an impossibility but the blade stiffeners could help as could a smaller blade.
Figure out a way to wet both sides of the blade and it should be possible to make a dry saw work wet. Ground fault circuitry?
But it goes back to your issue will be keeping your cuts straight.
You probably will end up with a thick blade wasting a huge amount of your expensive pattern glass.
I've been looking into making a special saw myself but it is not easy getting speed and efficiency and no glass waste all at the same time.

Once made a wet belt sander out of table top one.

The simplest answer is make yourself regular glass you can sell and then use the money to buy the saw.
Michael Stevens

Post by Michael Stevens »

issue isn't money. issue is my location. There aren't any commercially made wet saws other than industrial sizes. of it was as easy as spemd 300 or 500 dollars and have a good saw, I would.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Am I missing something? A tile saw should be properly waterproofed and grounded. Nothing to add other than the right blade and blade stiffeners, as suggested by Kevin.
Marty

Post by Marty »

What's the problem with "industrial" sizes? 10" is more or less standard. Everyone I know who got a smaller one quickly regretted it.
You don't say where you are but Harbor Freight, Lowes and HD among others, all carry the same MK knock-off (under different names) for between $300 and $500 and it's a decent machine, especially if you spend about $90 on a good blade from HIS Glassworks. And especially if you move the motor bracket closer to the front of the saw (but that's advanced alteration). And add another water feed line to the blade (minor alteration). Ditto the pump- get the next size up.
Check Craigs list- this stuff comes up all the time. People buy them for a job and then get rid of them. Just make sure it runs and the table rolls freely. Don't fall for expensive masonry blades.