Carbon Steel Mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Terry Gallentine

Carbon Steel Mold

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I usually use stainless steel for my bowl molds but I am considering buying a carbon steel wok to use as a mold. Has anyone used ITC or some other product to limit spalling on carbon steel molds?
Dick

Re: Carbon Steel Mold

Post by Dick »

I have used steel, as I use steel pipe as molds. I sandblast and then spray on kiln wash while hot. Slump low around 1150 and have no problems.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Considering some stainless will also spall, you just have to live with it and ensure there is enough kiln wash used. Might be an idea to have an easy to clean up surface beneath the mold to catch the bits.
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

With the stainless steel molds that I have, I have had mainly some surface oxidation in the form of rust. On the steel disc blade that I have been using, I have had minimal flake spalling. In both cases applying kiln wash minimizes problems. I was just wondering if there was a coating that I could use primarily on the plain steel mold to further minimize the flake spalling.