melted mess

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michael Stevens

melted mess

Post by Michael Stevens »

I was casting something and the mold poured out onto kiln shelf and the heating elements. I have about 6mm thick glass encasing some of the heating coils.

I chisseled off some chunks, but I'm. afraid of doing damage to the kiln if repeatdely pounding. should I heat up to 500 degrees and glass cool it, would that remove the glass better?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: melted mess

Post by Brad Walker »

I've had a situation where the glass remained on the coils for years, so that would be my first choice. Do nothing until you eventually need to change the elements.

If anyone else has a better solution, love to hear it.
Michael Stevens

Post by Michael Stevens »

So I removed some of the glass, opened the coils a little and then put back in place. I'm testing it now , if I screwed the coils, I can get replaced for less than 200 dollars, not too bad, . but I'm hopeful this will be ok
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Should e just fine, I did exactly what Brad did about 6 years ago and it is working just fine.
The other Jim
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

I had glass on elements for years.
If you have some electrical safety controls, turn off, remove power when kiln is heated to say 800F???
With a spray bottle of water dialed to a fine stream, Open the kiln and spray onto the glass which if you are lucky will crack from the thermal shock and become removable.
allow kiln to cool and remove glass carefully.
Repeat as needed but also do at your own risk.