blending colors

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marilyn Kaminski

blending colors

Post by Marilyn Kaminski »

I'm stumped on this and would welcome some ideas.

I'm making a stained glass panel for a client -- a garden scene with a morning glory vine running up one side. She can't find a blue color that she likes for the morning glories. The closest we've come is the color of BE0334 or BE0114 ... but she wants more of a seedy cathedral. (Like Kokomo seedy, but we couldn't find the right blue.)

So what to do? My current thought is to take some thin BE0114 or BE0334 and fuse it with a layer of thin clear. Would the result be less "dense", and more cathedral? If I fused thin BE1114 (cathedral) with clear would it be less intense blue? Would a layer of frit work?

I don't mind doing the experiments, but I'm curious if this will be blind alley or is worth pursuing. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks! Marilyn
Dani

Post by Dani »

Sometimes you have to layer a couple of pieces of glass to get a good color match in restoration. It doesn't necessarily have to be fused. This eliminates the compatability issue. You just have to be sure you don't get seepage between the glasses when you cement the panel. Lots of color-making opportunities here!

Good luck,

Dani
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

And sometimes, just blasting the back side of the glass with silicon carbide, etc. will change the color enough to get the effect you want.
Bert Weiss

Re: blending colors

Post by Bert Weiss »

Marilyn Kaminski wrote:I'm stumped on this and would welcome some ideas.

I'm making a stained glass panel for a client -- a garden scene with a morning glory vine running up one side. She can't find a blue color that she likes for the morning glories. The closest we've come is the color of BE0334 or BE0114 ... but she wants more of a seedy cathedral. (Like Kokomo seedy, but we couldn't find the right blue.)

So what to do? My current thought is to take some thin BE0114 or BE0334 and fuse it with a layer of thin clear. Would the result be less "dense", and more cathedral? If I fused thin BE1114 (cathedral) with clear would it be less intense blue? Would a layer of frit work?

I don't mind doing the experiments, but I'm curious if this will be blind alley or is worth pursuing. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks! Marilyn
Marylin

You could also try painting on a transparent blue enamel.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions