Hxtal and HYG adhesives

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

flite risk

Hxtal and HYG adhesives

Post by flite risk »

Hi all. I have always used mechanical means to attach my glass to other mediums but want to start using adhesives because I am hoping it creates new opportunities with my artwork. I have Hxtal, Hang Your Glass and E6000 in my shop. I looked through the archives and it seems that Hxtal had the least failures for most of the folks that chimed in. I am aware of it's long setup time and that doesn't bother me as I am more concerned with bond failure than time. I have used the HYG and it sure seems to work quick and create a strong bond although some folks mentioned it yellows after time...which doesn't bother me either because I would hide the bond. I did read that some folks had some failure with it over time...which I don't want and is why I have been reluctant to use adhesives. I would appreciate opinions from folks that have used adhesives to bond metal (aluminum) to glass and glass to glass. As an experiment I have already bonded (Hxtal) some heavy glass pieces to a thick aluminum sheet and will be hanging it up to see how it does. Any input appreciated! Thanks
SDG
Dick

Re: Hxtal and HYG adhesives

Post by Dick »

Of the three I would only use hxtal and never the others. had problems with yellowing and failing. The only other I use, and I use it mostly for hanging hardware is loctite hysol h30cl. It is super for metal to glass, never yellows. Course if I have to cold work, it's back to hxtal
flite risk

Re: Hxtal and HYG adhesives

Post by flite risk »

Dick wrote:Of the three I would only use hxtal and never the others. had problems with yellowing and failing. The only other I use, and I use it mostly for hanging hardware is loctite hysol h30cl. It is super for metal to glass, never yellows. Course if I have to cold work, it's back to hxtal
Thanks for the input. I have never heard of Loctite hysol h30cl so will look it up. Thats exactly what I am looking for to adhere the glass directly to the aluminum. Thanks!
SDG