Paragon Kiln help and question on 3 key controller

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

pclark

Paragon Kiln help and question on 3 key controller

Post by pclark »

I just sold my Paragon Fusion 10 kiln with a 3 key digital controller. It was bought new in December. I fired it only 3-4 times and did not have any trouble. The person I sold it too got it home and said when he plugs it in it comes on but when he runs through the program and hits start nothing happens. Does anyone have any idea how to troubleshoot it? He did say there was a weird 2 digit symbol that is coming on the display at certain times but that it did not look like any letter or #. I could not find anything about error codes on Paragon's site or how to troubleshoot. Also, if there is indeed a problem I bought the kiln through A & A products so do I go through them for warranty or straight to paragon?

Thanks,

Paul
BobB

Post by BobB »

Paul,

I've only seen 2 wierd codes come up on my kiln. Those were pf for power failure and once I put in a bad program and got a bd (or something similiar)error. I corrected the program and it was fine.
You might put in a simple 1 ramp and hold program and see if that works.
Paragon's plant is in Mesquite at Big Town and I-30. The 2 year warranty is a manufacturer's warranty. A&A is probably going to refer you to them. My book also says the warranty is good only to the original purchaser. So you'll have to contact them not the person you sold it to.
Since it was recently moved I'd look at the connections like elements, thermocouple. THey might have gotten loose while moving it. The controller is made by Orton. Their website might have more on error codes.

BobB
BobB

Post by BobB »

The Orton Website
http://www.ortonceramic.com/Firing/cont ... ature.html

download the sentry express manual. It has all the error codes.

BobB
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

Which 3 key controller is it? Paragon sold 2. In the past it was the Bartlett board, now it is the Orton.

I am a Paragon Certified repair person (That certificate and 10¢ still will not buy me a cup of coffee), but have the person drop me an e-mail with what the code is and then I can get them what it is saying. Once I get the code I will be able to tell the person what needs to be fixed and then they can decide if they want to fix it or have someone else do it. If they want to fix it I will tell them what needs to be done and how to do it.

Stuart
Kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
M.L.

Post by M.L. »

Stuart Clayman wrote:Which 3 key controller is it? Paragon sold 2. In the past it was the Bartlett board, now it is the Orton.

I am a Paragon Certified repair person (That certificate and 10¢ still will not buy me a cup of coffee), but have the person drop me an e-mail with what the code is and then I can get them what it is saying. Once I get the code I will be able to tell the person what needs to be fixed and then they can decide if they want to fix it or have someone else do it. If they want to fix it I will tell them what needs to be done and how to do it.

Stuart
Kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Good morning Stewart, I emailed your yahoo address, about the kiln I bought from Paul. Thanks. Mike
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

tc = IS THERMOCOUPLE .. The thermocouple wire was disconnected. The flip holder on the orton can come loose and flip open and the wire come out. Then the message would be tc instead of a temp.
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
M.L.

Post by M.L. »

Stuart Clayman wrote:tc = IS THERMOCOUPLE .. The thermocouple wire was disconnected. The flip holder on the orton can come loose and flip open and the wire come out. Then the message would be tc instead of a temp.
Thanks Stewart, your a life saver. I owe ya. Mike
pclark

Thanks!

Post by pclark »

I know it has been said before and I just want to say it again. The people on this board are the most helpful/wonderful people I have ever met. Don't like to use the word wonderful since I am a guy! : ) but, it is the only thing I can think of that describes the generosity and help people show to one another here. Thanks again for the help. Enjoy the kiln Mike!