Denver Kilns?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bonnie Rubinstein

Denver Kilns?

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

A friend has an opportunity to buy a used 72" Denver clamshell kiln. In reading past threads here, I saw several unfavorable comments about them (i.e.sagging blanket).. Has anyone had good experiences with them? And I realize they are out of business, which could be problematic if the kiln has issues.
thx.
Bonnie Rubinstein
Bob Gent

Re: Denver Kilns?

Post by Bob Gent »

kind of telling that you can't find any positive testimony on denver kilns
I remember using a couple of Denver front loading Annealers in school settings, they must have been made in the late seventies. The original controls were funnily made, pre-electronic devices.
The Denver 40 pound electric pot furnace was also a decent design for its time
Seems they were heading downhill by the time the warm glass movement got going. The only kiln I didn't make for myself was a large denver top loading one, and it was very poorly made. I had to redesign it almost as soon as I got it, as the wall the hinge was attached to couldn't take the weight of the door, and when I complained, they sent a kit to fix it that wasn't up to the job either
I wound up selling the thing, and haven't missed it one bit
Bonnie Rubinstein

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

We decided not to get it, but thanks for the info and sorry you went through all that with your kiln!
Bonnie Rubinstein
Marian

Post by Marian »

I have one, it's been good for last 10 years, only thing I replaced was a thermocouple last year. I use it almost every day.