Skutt 1414 Kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lisa Feldman

Skutt 1414 Kiln

Post by Lisa Feldman »

Does anyone have any recent experience with the Skutt GM1414? I've heard there were problems in the past and am wondering if they have been corrected. Would the Jen Ken Oval 13 be better?
travisraybold

Post by travisraybold »

i bought one two weeks ago, and i love mine, and have heard they have great customer support. one major factor in the decision for me was that they are loca to me, and can make any repairs needed without shipping it anywhere.

the lid is quite heavy, and could be awkward for doing combing or other in-process manipulation, and the three shelf setup can make spacing tricky (i havent made a single long shelf to fit it yet) but aside from those minor things, i love it!

best of luck with whichever you choose,

--travis
Kate Saunders

Post by Kate Saunders »

I've had a 1414 Skutt kiln for over a year, one of the first ones that they made. It did have problems with the elements in the lid drooping so Skutt did replace the whole lid with a better pinning method. Their service has been excellent, I can't recommend them enough for how helpful they've been, without a hassle. The lid is heavy, but I had someone put together a pulley system so now it's simple to open and close. I like the kiln a lot, aside from the earlier problems which have been fixed. Good luck! Kate
Lisa Feldman

Skutt 1414

Post by Lisa Feldman »

Skutt is now advertizing a "Lid Lifter". Do you think that would solve the problem with the heavy top?
They are also advertizing a ventilation system for under the kiln. They say you can't thermal shock the glass with the fresh air sucked in through the top. Is this true?
Jeanette B

Skutt kiln

Post by Jeanette B »

Travis, I am thinking of purchasing a Skutt, fairly local to the Portland area and wondering where you found the best deal or if you had a good purchase experience somewhere in the Portland area. Thanks!
Jeanette
Monty

Post by Monty »

Hi Travis,
I have just purchased the Evenheat GTS 2541 which is virtually the same as this one. I noticed that the lid will lift/warp on the edges when at higher temps i.e. 650 celcius and higher (which is apparently normal). On the first two firings the lid lifted by approx 1/2 inch but subsequently settled down to 1/4 inch. When it's cool the lid sits dead flat. The kiln operated properly and to correct temps but it sure did annoy me, so I put a soft fibre rope around the top of the kiln so that when the lid is closed it seals properly at any temp. I believe this condition may have something to do with the new coating on the underside of the lid to help prevent any loose bits of firebrick raining down on your work. Apparently on the first models this coatings was not applied and the lids didn't warp. Anyway you may want to check if this happens with the skutt kilns.

Now as for the shape and size I think its great. you can get upto two layers in these models (mine is the 13" depth one) at a squeeze if you need to.

The lid is definately a little heavy. I'm in the process of setting up a lid lifting pulley arrangement with set opening heights for flash venting. If the Skutt is anything like the Evenheat it takes an age for temps to drop from higher temps to annealing temps without cracking the lid.
cheers
Monty
I'm gone
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Like Kate, I have one of the 1st 1414s. I also went thru the problem phases with it --- with Mike, Perry & Mike (The Skuttettes) holding my hand all the way. I've had 2 major upgrades/fixes all at no charge, and Skutt picked up & delivered. And, when I moved my kiln recently, I lost the struts to hold up the lid & they just handed me a new set for free, too. (Aside: I went to Skutt to pick them up, and got a nice little look-see too.) Skutt good.

The new lid is practically pin-free. I believe Skutt redesigned the grooves so they're smaller & tighter. So far, the elements stay put. There's a pin or 2 where the elements start. Yes, the first one already fell out. Pins bad.

I've read the threads on the Evenheat warping lids.... surprises me. I've never experienced it with either of my 1414 lids. Go figure.

The lid is heavy & can be awkward. If you get into the kiln (use SP15 at least) at high temps, you WILL want some hot clothes and a face mask. I've tried it using the struts and, even with assistance, it's horrible. Pulleys good.

My only experience with a kiln ventilation system was one of those deep sidefired Skutt ceramic kilns. it was great. Never worry about your hairsprays & glues & fibers burning off. Just close the lid & walk away. Vent good.

I don't know how to apply my minimal experience with venting back to the 1414 & whether or how it would affect skeds. Ask the Skutt-folk. By the way, when Roger Thomas came to the OGG (PDX chapter) meeting last year, he said he always vents. Roger Thomas good.

By the way, I leave the two 1414 peepholes open almost all the time. What, me worry?

I do get frustrated with the wacktagonal shape, but that's just me. I'll keep that in mind for my next kiln. On the other hand, I can easily fit 2 15-inch square slumping molds in there, have depth for some drip casting, etc. I also baffle those side elements if I'm slumping or doing large pieces. I learned this the hard way. Baffle'N'Go(tm) good.

I've posted most of my Skutt adventures under something like "saga" or something. (yawn) Yawn good.

There's my .02 X .02 ... where's my silver bullet?
Barbara
Barbara Bader
PDXBarbara

Re: Skutt kiln

Post by PDXBarbara »

Nitroglass wrote:Travis, I am thinking of purchasing a Skutt, fairly local to the Portland area and wondering where you found the best deal or if you had a good purchase experience somewhere in the Portland area. Thanks!
Greetings, Nitro. Check out Cline's.
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Jeanette B

Post by Jeanette B »

Barbara, thanks for pointing me to Cline's. Travis also mentioned it. With two recommendations I am going to head up there. I had looked at their website, but with no prices posted I didn't really know how they were, so I appreciate the information. I am new to glasswork and I think I am hooked. I just got my Bullseye catalog and am drooling over the glass in it, I am going to go take a look in person and mark up that catalog with my ideas so I can remember once I get home what I liked. I am looking for classes now, the more creativeness and experienced fusers I can subject myself to the better. What got me started was a 2 day fusing course at the Eugene Glass School. I have never had 2 days go so fast, barely could stop working to eat it was so much fun! I am looking at a 5 day class in Redmond, WA in May, that Avery Anderson and Brock Craig are teaching. I see Brock posting on here all the time. The class does say beginners are welcome so I am hoping that is accurate, I am going to call the coordinator and find out.

I am rambling - more info than you most likely wanted! Thanks again for the tip.
Jeanette
Cher

Post by Cher »

Barbara, 2 questions come to mind: What is PDX ? What is your pully system setup? Thanks for sharing. PS loved your good and bad comments :wink:
>^..^<
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

YoDuh wrote:Barbara, 2 questions come to mind: What is PDX ? What is your pully system setup? Thanks for sharing. PS loved your good and bad comments :wink:
Well, believe it or not, you can learn all about PDX in the archives ... probably the old archives...:arrow: :badgrin: In earlier days when I posted my 1st post here (as Barbara), everyone on the board pointed at me & said "oooo not another Barbara... too many Barbaras." I worshipfully intoned, " Oh my! PDXBarbara me." (PDX is to Portland as LAX is to L.A.) And thus she was knighted & knaved.

This was back when there were way fewer folks on the board. After lurking for a few weeks totally awestruck by all the original core group... like Barbara, Barbara, Barbara & Barbara. Oh, and Barbara. (No really, I felt like I'd discovered, by chance, friggin' Eden. Thank you forever, Brad.)

Pulley system... wellll..... I've had a number of pulley systems. They're all in my mind. Ron sent me a wonderful and cool design for a system, which I keep under my pillow. Meanwhile, my kiln's in Jim Simmons' studio and he rigged an easy system with rope. The rope made me uneasy. Now, when it's needed, we can just hook a simple chain one onto the handles.

hey Jim... chime in here anytime...

A lot of people hook up garage door openers or a pushbutton electric hoist.

Struts bad.

PDXBarbara
Barbara Bader
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Nitroglass wrote:Barbara, thanks for pointing me to Cline's. Travis also mentioned it. With two recommendations I am going to head up there. I had looked at their website, but with no prices posted I didn't really know how they were, so I appreciate the information. I am new to glasswork and I think I am hooked. I just got my Bullseye catalog and am drooling over the glass in it, I am going to go take a look in person and mark up that catalog with my ideas so I can remember once I get home what I liked. I am looking for classes now, the more creativeness and experienced fusers I can subject myself to the better. What got me started was a 2 day fusing course at the Eugene Glass School. I have never had 2 days go so fast, barely could stop working to eat it was so much fun! I am looking at a 5 day class in Redmond, WA in May, that Avery Anderson and Brock Craig are teaching. I see Brock posting on here all the time. The class does say beginners are welcome so I am hoping that is accurate, I am going to call the coordinator and find out.

I am rambling - more info than you most likely wanted! Thanks again for the tip.
Yo, Nitro. Cline's also has classes. Check out their basic or advanced fusing classes. That class made all the difference to me. It lasts something like 5 or 6 weeks. During that time their studio -- and kilns! -- are available to you whenever they're open for business. The cost is extremely reasonable. It's a great opportunity for a beginner, because you become familiar with different kilns, different glasses, what works, and make fabulous mistakes. Because you've got the time to experiment, you won't feel panic like you would in a fast class where they take away all your toys while you're still playing with them.

I took that class before I had a kiln.... when I'd just learned to hold a cutter. It was glorious. I felt true joy with glass... the kind of joy i felt when I was say 5 years old and touched a pony for the first time. Or when I first fell in love with someone who loved me.

Eugene Glass School is great, eh? I'll be helping Patty Gray during her May class down there. it's gonna be fun. Patty's wonderful, loves to teach. I always learn things when I'm around her.

Nitro... where are you relative to PDX? Feel free to contact me by email or PM. (I live pretty near Clines.)
BB
Barbara Bader