Fusing strips

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rebecca M.

Fusing strips

Post by Rebecca M. »

I fused together a block of 3/8" strips about 5"X7" as an experiment for a design I'm trying to work out involving cutting the block up, adding another element and fusing it back together. It worked fine except for the look of the lines from the strips. The top of the block is fully fused together, the bottom is as well only I can feel tiny tiny ridges. It's also got a more linear look I like, so I'm going to flip it over and use the bottom as the top.

I was wondering about the tiny ridges though. Any avoidance techniques? I kept the totally fused side up during the second fuse because I wasn't thinking that the bottom wouldn't totally fuse smooth. Also I didn't realize that I'd like the bottom better.

Right now I'm using diamond hand pads to try and get it smooth. My triceps would like to know if this is a job better suited for a sandblaster. Not that I have a set-up, but DH does at his shop that can fit a whole engine block inside, and if he'd just set up the pressure pot I could use it.
Should I; a) go kick his arse in gear, b) look ahead and flip the piece so the bottom becomes the top, c) continue with the hand pads, or d) other?
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Should I; a) go kick his arse in gear, b) look ahead and flip the piece so the bottom becomes the top, c) continue with the hand pads, or d) other?
E - all of the above.

All of my pieces are fired upsidedown, all are sandblasted, all have handpads involved, and most have some "other" thrown in too.
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Thanks Jackie. I think A is going to be hardest to accomplish. Back to working on Triceps of Steel. Too bad nothing else is of Steel. :?
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Jackie, my mind just got boggled. Are you saying that your intricate color dances are fired upside down in the initial firing? (or just upside down when you frame them)?

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Barbara Muth wrote:Jackie, my mind just got boggled. Are you saying that your intricate color dances are fired upside down in the initial firing? (or just upside down when you frame them)?

Barbara
Color dances . . . gee, I like that. I've been trying to think of something to call my inserts - other than "inserts"

Anyway, you can "unboggle" - I fire the color-dances (I'm testing the phrase) face up first and then all subsequent firings are face down.

Jackie
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

If they aren't dances they are symphonies. Somehow dancing seemed to fit your personality better in my mind...

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS