Problem with UROBOROS clear.......

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dave Pascoe

Problem with UROBOROS clear.......

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Hi everyone,

I`ve got a bit of a problem. I had a delivery of clear uroboros a couple of days back. I did a firing using the clear a couple of days ago, but it was mostly small pieces. I noticed a orange tint in a couple of the pieces, but assumed it was some contamination of my own doing.
I fired onto a newly kiln washed shelf (BE primer)
Yesterday I did a couple of larger pieces, and the orange tint was still there. I fired onto thinfire this time. It seems to be a band going right accross the sheet. I cut and rearranged the clear, but it is easy to see the band. I`ve never had this before, and it has pretty much ruined two promising pieces. I`ll post a picture when I get back later..

My first idea is that it was contaminated somehow when it was rolled. That`s what it looks like. And it isn`t all over the sheet, just in a band.

Anyone got any ideas? I`m going to ring my supplier and see if there were any other complaints.

Thanks in advance for any help......
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Dave P. wrote:...It seems to be a band going right accross the sheet...
Not orange...but I've gotten repeating bands of haze.

Just about a year ago I ordered a case of machine rolled URO clear. I fire my work with the clear base down, then flip and fire it up. So the clear is the surface of the piece in the end. I noticed that there was a series of bands of haze across some of my pieces on the machine rolled URO (only showed up after it was fired). It looked to me like it was roller marks since the bands were regular and straight.It was on some, but not all of my sheets. Since most people fire with the clear as a base, I wonder how many actually have the contamination, but never noticed it.

I had to blast the surface off of those pieces and refire. Is your contamination on the surface only? Can you blast it off and fire your promising pieces back up?...Can you get replacement glass for the glass that was ruined?

I actually like Uroboros glass, it's nice to have those additional colors to add to the mix...for machine rolled clear, they were all that was made for a while there...I'm going to order the Tekta in my next order and see how I liket that. Anyone used that yet?
Dave Pascoe

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Hi Cynthia,

I`m sending off some pieces of the glass to my supplier and should get some replacement glass. Doesn`t help with the pieces that have come out already though.

Unfortunatly, for these pieces I needed to fuse two layers of clear together, and you can see that the contamination is on the surface of one layer. As you look at the glass from the edge you can really see the orange in the glass.
I was going to add texture to the clear glass to balance the piece up a bit. But maybe I can add some colour to the clear instead. I`ve got a couple of ideas....

Cynthia, did you get your glass replaced?

Here are some photos that I took earlier.

I like the Uro machine rolled too. It`s so easy to cut, and nice and flat. I`ve never had a problem before.

Here`s a link to my webshots homepage, look in the contaminated glass folder.

http://community.webshots.com/user/davepascoe
Last edited by Dave Pascoe on Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Give Bill Ward a call at Uroboros. They are very responsive. He might have some insight into what you are experiencing. 503-284-4900

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I didn't have it replaced. I had a full 40 sheet case that had random sheets with the problem mixed in ...my distributor is in Denver and I am in Salt Lake. I wouldn't know which sheets to have replaced until I fired them up...so I just kept using it and altered my firing approach to make sure the clear glass was the shelf side in the final firing. Only about a dozen sheets ended up being funky... And I don't know what run it came off of or anything...I guess I could have followed up, but I was getting ready for a show and I needed to solve my problem quickly and I did so by changing my construction and firing approach to accomodate the iffy glass. For the others I blasted and refired when necessary. I have a nice friend with a blaster, and she is generous :) That batch of glass is gone and I am ready to place an order (should do it today...but I'm procrastinating).

I would have called Uro, but in reality...the damage was already done, and I was able to adapt.
Dave Pascoe

Post by Dave Pascoe »

I sent an email to Uroboros tonight. Hopefully they can make a suggestion as to what it is.

I`ll let you know what happens..
Glassmeow

Uroboros Machine Rolled Clear

Post by Glassmeow »

Hello!

This is Kat Hartley, Sales Rep. for Uroboros, a.k.a. Glassmeow on this BB.

I would like to assure anyone who has had any problem with our Machine Rolled Clear (or any other Uroboros glass) that we are extremely committed to customer satisfaction at Uroboros.

While I sincerely hope that the discoloration experienced by the folks who have posted under this discussion is an isolated experience, should anyone else have the same, similar or other issue with this item please send me an e-mail about their situation to: kat@uroboros.com.

I will ask you a few questions to help pinpoint the problem and I will resolve it for/with you. Uroboros will replace any glass that we find to be defective. We may ask you for photos, samples or other information surrounding your purchase of the glass in order to determine the source of the problem. Every customer's satisfaction with and confidence in our products is very important to us and all concerns or comments are taken quite seriously.

Best Regards,
Kat Hartley, Sales
kat@uroboros.com
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Dave Pascoe wrote:I sent an email to Uroboros tonight. Hopefully they can make a suggestion as to what it is.

I`ll let you know what happens..
They've already contacted me as a result of your email Dave. Wow. Best customer service I've ever had. They are asking how they can make it right...and are wanting to be certain they can determine where the problem is and make sure it doesn't happen again.

How cool is that?

I knew I liked this company when I toured their plant...now I have more reasons to like 'em
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

WOW! What if every company treated their customers that way? :lol:
Mark Hughes
Andrew

Same problem as Cynthia

Post by Andrew »

I had the exact same problem that Cynthia describes - it looks like roller marks across the surface after firing. I believe the glass I had was older than Cynthia's though- at least 18 months ago and I've used up al the sheets from that order.

Andy
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Because these problems are so similar to those we at Bullseye had when Spectrum was making a machine-rolled clear for us, I am going to jump in to this thread although I am sure that some will cry foul and others will distrust what I am going to say because I’m talking about “the competitionâ€
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Dave Pascoe wrote: Here are some photos that I took earlier.

I like the Uro machine rolled too. It`s so easy to cut, and nice and flat. I`ve never had a problem before...
Dave, I can't see your pictures.
Last edited by PaulS on Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Dave Pascoe wrote: Here are some photos that I took earlier.

I like the Uro machine rolled too. It`s so easy to cut, and nice and flat. I`ve never had a problem before...
Dave, you can't beat the US for customer service, eh?

Please tell me your supplier here in UK so I know what to expect, and how have they accepted your enquiry?

I bought a load of lovely smooth and easy to cut clear from Pearsons in Liverpool about two years ago but strangely they said it's no longer available; must have been the remainder of the batch Lani mentioned. Or Uroboros.

But no streaky stuff.
Dave Pascoe

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Sorry about the links, here is my webshots homepage,

http://community.webshots.com/user/davepascoe

Look under the contaminated glass folder.
Dave Pascoe

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Hi Paul,

I use Bohle mainly, and this glass came from them. I think they were going to try and trace anyone else who bought any of this shipment.

I have been impressed with the service from Uro so far.

I`ve only just contacted Bohle, and they haven`t seen the photos yet. Lisa at Bohle is really helpfull. I`m hoping that they will just send out some replacement glass. I need the clear yesterday as it is, so I really don`t need this delay. It`s holding up about 50% of the work I`m doing.
What I hope dosn`t happen is that they send it to the states and wait for a reply before sending me out some replacemant glass. Fingers crossed......

How are things going Paul. Thanks again for the info you sent me a few months ago..

Just getting ready for the summer season here.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Dave Pascoe wrote:Hi Paul,

I use Bohle mainly, and this glass came from them. I think they were going to try and trace anyone else who bought any of this shipment.

I have been impressed with the service from Uro so far.

I`ve only just contacted Bohle, and they haven`t seen the photos yet. Lisa at Bohle is really helpfull. I`m hoping that they will just send out some replacement glass. I need the clear yesterday as it is, so I really don`t need this delay. It`s holding up about 50% of the work I`m doing.
What I hope dosn`t happen is that they send it to the states and wait for a reply before sending me out some replacemant glass. Fingers crossed......

How are things going Paul. Thanks again for the info you sent me a few months ago..

Just getting ready for the summer season here.
Yes Dave, good one. Lisa at Bohle is really helpful. Lyn and Daina at Peasrons are also helpful.

Let us know the result, the UK fusers can all learn from your experience, even if not now but in the archive.

Ha ha Brian asked me if I'm rich and famous yet, rich and famous I said yes but only rich and famous in love and generosity! Good way to be. But yes my cup runs over right now, happy and contented.
Dave Pascoe

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Hi everyone,

Everything got sorted. I didn`t find out what the problem was, but I`ll be getting replacement glass very soon. Bohle had to destroy the rest of the case.

Good customer service from Uroboros and Bohle. Thanks Lisa and Kat!

I WILL be buying more Uroboros in the future.

Dave....