Glass/pottery in same kiln?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

quill

Glass/pottery in same kiln?

Post by quill »

I have been researching this but can't seem to find any definative answers.

My sister wants to get a kiln for glass fusing but she also works with clay & would like a kiln she can use for both.

Is this practical? I have emailed various
manufacturers but no one has gotten back to me yet.

I would appreciate some advice if anyone here is doing that or has some ideas.
Thanks in advance!
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

There are plenty of people that still do fusing in a ceramic kiln and some even on multiple shelves.. Takes a lot of experminting to know the temps at each leave.

So, yes it can be done. You will need a ceramic kiln since it gets hotter than a glass one.

Stuart
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Sandi

Post by Sandi »

I use a large Paragon ceramic kiln with a kiln sitter to do my glass work. I have never used a glass kiln. Stuart is right, you have to experiment with the kiln but that is the same with any type of kiln. I also use a pyrometer which I could not slump or fuse glass without. I find that it is much more accurate than cones and easier to control.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

yes you can do both. get a controller if at all possible. it is really just a learning curve. KEEP A DETAILED LOG. record each and every firing at least untill you have a couple of years under your belt. i still do this 6 years or so later. the ONLY thing that i do in an orginized fashion. lol rosanna
Kristina

Post by Kristina »

I persued this question & actually got through to a technical kiln mfr. type who said that for best results add a kiln vent system.

This way the colors will fire more true between the 2 types of firing & their glazes & gases won't adhere to the kiln interior as they might, thereby affecting the next firing.

This may have been an answer that is splitting hairs of difference, if those of you who are doing it have not had a problem.
quill

Post by quill »

Thanks so much everyone!

I knew I would get some good info from you all.
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

Depending on the size of the kiln you are looking for, Paragon just released a kiln that is being sold with the intention of doing both fusing and firing ceramics. As mentioned in previous messages, many people use ceramic kilns to fuse glass. However they are not sold with the intension of doing both ceramics and glass. This kiln however is sold to do both purposes.

Here is the info from their websight. Hope it helps.

http://www.paragonweb.com/news.cfm
=========================

The Paragon Janus-1613 is rated to 2350°F (cone 10). The 8-sided, 1.75 cubic foot interior is 16 1/2â€
quill

Post by quill »

Hi Al,

Thanks for the heads-up. That looks like it might be perfect for her!
quill

Post by quill »

Just wanted to let you know, my sister is very taken with this kiln. I am just waiting for a price from my supplier. It was so nice of you to post the info.
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

Your more than welcome. I think most people just getting started in fusing and that have exposure to clay/ceramics think that it's odd you can't find kilns advertised to do both. I know I did when I went to buy my first kiln.

I now understand that the dynamics for fusing and working with ceramics make different demands on the kiln (mostly element placement and the eveness of heat required for fusing).

However I think this kiln with it's switch to control which elements are used dependant on whether you are firing glass or clay, and the ability to fire to 2350°F (cone 10) is a great solution for this size kiln.

Would be interested in hearing what price you get quoted for it!

- Al
Vushka

Post by Vushka »

Greetings -
I wanted the same thing - my husband does pottery and I prefer glass. Bought an Olympic top loading kiln that fires to cone 10 and has a Bartlett controller on it. Works great for both things although I haven't tried firing glass and ceramic on the same cycle.

Bought it on ebay and got a better price than any online store that I could find.

Pat