cutting rods

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rebecca M.

cutting rods

Post by Rebecca M. »

This may seem like a no-brainer question. I just want to make sure. I bought a couple Pyrex rods. Are they OK to cut with the wet saw? The main reason I'm asking is that they were delivered 'cut in half' but it looks like there was some difficulty there. They look not so much cut, but like a stick would look after you snapped it over your knee.
charlie

Post by charlie »

if you can't score and break them by hand, they are best cut with a tile saw.
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

charlie wrote:if you can't score and break them by hand, they are best cut with a tile saw.
Uh, no. I don't have much luck cutting thick glass. But I can flip a switch like a pro. :lol: TY
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

You could try a glass tubing cutter (about $7 from American Science and Surplus). These seem to work well for rod as well as tubing.
vblue

Post by vblue »

How thick are the rods? I use mosaic cutters to cut the COE 90 rods. But haven't had experience with Pyrex rods.

Vernelle
Brock

Post by Brock »

vblue wrote:How thick are the rods? I use mosaic cutters to cut the COE 90 rods. But haven't had experience with Pyrex rods.

Vernelle
They can be up to 25mm thick, about an inch. There is a huge amount of wastage, unless you use a saw. I have mine cut for me, and their saw blade is so fine, I can go right to a 220 or 400 belt to polish the cut edges.
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
dan001

Post by dan001 »

We have used he Pyrex rod extensively in a project, we used our Diamond internaltional DL5000 just to make a little dent in the glass and then snap by hand. It works like a charm pretty well even at 45% angle.

We found that our Taurus saw was making too much of a large dent in it.

Dan