directions for rose

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

barbarak

directions for rose

Post by barbarak »

I was given a ceramic mold made for forming a glass rose. It consists of five pieces (lower round 'petal' 4"X4", three consecutivly smaller units and a top inner 'bud' 1.5" - each one gets deeper) the whole thing stands about 2.5" tall.
It didn't come with any instructions and I'm wondering how to use it? Do you slump into each of the petals and drape the top bud? Do I need to drill a hole in the bottom of each petal unit?

I'm really new at this - - - thanks a bunch.
Barbara
Sandi

Post by Sandi »

I have Sun Sculpture molds which make flowers. The rose one that I have only makes three petals at a time. To make one rose I have to fire this mold 5 times. Have a look at the below site to give you an idea if this is similar to your mold. The pictures of the books are small but click on the book to enlarge it. At least enough for you to see what you have to do with the glass. Basically what you do is cut out the glass to the pattern shape, slump glass, grind edges, foil and solder together (like regular stained glass). If the molds on the below site are basically the same and you need the pattern for the rose, let me know by personal e-mail and I will scan and e-mail you back the pattern and info on putting these together.

http://www.villageglassworks.com

Sandy
Lynn g

Post by Lynn g »

Barbara,

This mold was either made or marketed by Optimum Glass in Colorado. I don't know if they are still in business, but some suppliers still carry the rose mold. Try Pacific Art Glass - they are big on fusing and I'm sure they could answer your question. Their email: pacartglass@pacificartglass.com. Wish I could still lay my hands on some Optimum glass, especially the older types...beautiful, great textures and absolutely the easiest to cut!
Lynn g
"Patriotism is not enough, I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone." - Dame Edith Cavell
barbarak

Post by barbarak »

Thank you both. Sandi - the type of mold that Sun Sculptures has is a little different (although nice!) This rose is more diminsional - stacking one section on top of the other - after they're slumped Thanks Lynn, I'll check out Optimum - if the same person that gave me the rose has any Optimum Glass to get rid of, I'll let you know.
Barbara
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

Hi Barbara, I have the same mold you're talking about. I also have the original box and directions that came with it. The number is Rose FL1. The molds are made by Optimum. They recommend Optimum glass #626 Avantique for pale lavender and #600 Venetian for Texas rose. I'm sure you can use any glass you want.
In the direction it recommends using Duro's Crystal Clear to bond the pieces together, so that might give you a clue as to how it's assembled.

This was one of the first molds I bought a couple of years ago and I haven't used it yet. Although I plan to.....................someday.........................when I have extra time.

If you would like I can send you a copy of the patterns and not to detailed directions.

Randy

74dodge@sbcglobal.net
When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.
Cher

Post by Cher »

Barbara, now you know why it was given to you :lol: I think I bought the same one you're talking about. It's been years since I've seen either the mold or the slumped pieces that I made. At least I had a pattern of sorts, but I never figured out the assembly or how it should look when complete. I bought it because it sounded neat. If you find out more about how to use it, etc., please share!

(I was thinking I bought it from Whitemore Durgan, but a brief search of their online catalog came up with zilch. Also checked online at Fusion HQ, A&A, Delphi, WC & Future Molds and Forms..)
>^..^<
barbarak

Post by barbarak »

HA! I feel so lucky :lol: I'll keep checking it out - maybe Randy will be able to fax me the instructions (I sent an email). I've slumped the pieces (except the very top one - which I can't get a grip on how to deal with). If it's just glued together - it's not incredibly great..... kind of a mother's day present - cause she loves you no matter what :D
Barbara
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

I hear you load and clear Barbara, (and to the others who requested the directions) PLEASE give me a day or two.
Busy Busy Busy

Randy
When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.
barbarak

Post by barbarak »

:D :D Thanks Randy - not pushin ya.... really appreciate that you'll send it at all. At your convenience
Barbara
Cher

Post by Cher »

Ditto! If you incur any expense, I'll gladly cover. Thanks.
>^..^<