bottle label removal

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

foss2k

bottle label removal

Post by foss2k »

Hi gang-
Hope someone knows. What's the best way to remove a label from a wine bottle? I want to preserve it and glue is back on after a fuse the bottle flat.
Thanks in advance.
Judy Foss
Fossfire Studios
Tucson, AZ
charlie

Post by charlie »

it depends upon what it's stuck on with.

i used a hair dryer to soften ones put on with a rubbery glue with moderate success. sometimes soaking them will float them off.
foss2k

bottle labels

Post by foss2k »

Thanks Charlie-You seem to always have to answers! I'll try the hair dryer-if not-I'll try soaking. This is a $300 bottle of wine for a customer that wants a spoon rest made! :roll:
Judy Foss
Fossfire Studios
Tucson, AZ
Jack Bowman

Post by Jack Bowman »

I probably have a few hundred wine labels that I've collected over the years. I soak in hot water with dish soap and most lables just float right off. Certain labels just won't come off in one piece. If a price tag was placed over the label you should remove that first before soaking. Good luck.

Jack
bkrgrl@aol.com

removing labels

Post by bkrgrl@aol.com »

Hi, I have removed a lot of labels lately and hope this will help-if it is a European wine-fill a tall container with very hot water ,then fill the bottle with hot water, and lower the bottle into the container and soak a few minutes, should slide right off, pat dry the label with a towel, flatten and weight it down until dry. If it is an american or aussie wine, place in a warm oven about 200 degrees, this will melt the adhesive and you can carefully peel off, again flatten until ready to apply back to bottle, I assume you are going to decoupage it back on to the bottle-looks really good if you do it from the back, if the bottle is clear-if not , you will have to do it from the front. Hope this helps, Gayle
barbarak

Post by barbarak »

Many wine magazines have a product that you stick over the top of the wine label and then peel and (theoretically) the label comes off in one piece.
For that fine Opus 1 label :D - I might try the hair dryer before the water or sticky paper.
Barbara