honing Machine--can it be a lap grinder?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kelly Burke Makuch

honing Machine--can it be a lap grinder?

Post by Kelly Burke Makuch »

Could someone advise me on whether I can use this "honing machine" as a lap grinder. I purchased it CHEAP $150.00, but I don't want to invest in 3-4 magnetic discs if it won't preform for me. Here are the specs:
DAYTON Split phase motor
HP 1/3 RPM 172S 115Volts FLA 6.0 FRS6Z HZ 60 PH1 INS,CR A, Max 40deg. C Duty cont. DP BRG Sleeve. 16 in magnetic disc.

Is there a way I can put a variable speed switch on it? Please advise whether any investment should be made in this. I should say --It does run...seems balanced...Who would you have make necessary updates or alterations?
All comments welcome...Thanks in advance. Kelly Makuch
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Does it have a water feed and a way to recycle or drain the water off?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Kelly Burke Makuch

Thanks for asking Tony. Yes it does have a drain and a drip container for medium/water. If you've been to the Corning Studio cold shop --it would be a cousin to the mill grinding system, but lower tech.&smaller.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

A lap wheel is a pretty simple device... a motor, a platen, some bearings and a water feed. The 1/3 HP motor sounds a little small since the larger lap wheels that I've seen are 3/4 HP or larger, but a motor is easy to change. A variable speed motor is a different story and will cost you some $$$. Maybe $300 to $500 by the time you're done with the motor and controller, and I'm not sure of the value. You'd be better off installing a 3/4 HP motor with a reversing switch and run the unit at a constant speed. If the platen is heavy enough to support the weight of a 15" diameter bowl, I'd say you're in good shape to start.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Kelly Burke Makuch

Tony, thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. Kelly