96 coe confetti

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Shralizy

96 coe confetti

Post by Shralizy »

Hi All,
I am looking to buy confetti made from system 96 glass, does anyone know of a source for this or perhaps know of a glass blower in my area that might blow some for me? I live in Bellevue, WA.

Thanks!
Mary
David Williams

Post by David Williams »

I could make you any and all the colors of confetti you want. But you'd have to make it worth my while and I don't think you'd find it worth doing. Offhand I'd say I would charge 50 or 60$ a balloon and that would probably only give you around a pound or so of confetti. Another option would be to contact Spectrums cullet dept. and find someone who is melting many different colors of sys 96. But if you wanted particular colors you might have to pay for melting a whole pot and all that confetti blowing time. My technique I don't do it that way. I can blow a single balloon of any color.

Ps. And I'd want something like a 500$ minimum.
Shralizy

Post by Shralizy »

Wow! Thanks for your offer David but like you said it probably isn't worth doing at that price. I sure wish Spectrum would start making confetti in 96 like BE does in 90.

Appreciate your offer
Mary
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Mary,

Uroboros makes confetti for some of their System 96 glasses. If enough interest is expressed by customers, they may start selling it.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Mary-You could have a go at making your own. Try a large diameter drop out with the ring as high as your kiln will permit. You would have to have a generous lip or the glass will slip in. Cook the colors you want so as to maximize the drop, but not let it touch the floor. Cool and smash. Another option is to fuse big circles of the target colors on a shelf that has deliberately been made concave in the center. You would be deliberately trying to get the bubbles that most of us fear. Get 'em as big and glorious as you can, and as with the drop out you should have some pretty thin glass that is great for sharding. Granted this is low production technology, but might tide you over till Spectrum starts blowing bubbles.
Shralizy

Post by Shralizy »

Thanks Tony and Tony,
I've already emailed Uroboros expressing my interest in purchasing their 96 confetti. Until then I think I'll have to try one or both of Tony's methods for making my own. I sure appreciate your input.

Mary
David Williams

Post by David Williams »

What I would do if I were you is fuse together some billets of a manageable size and take them to pratt and see if you could buy someone some time in return for blowing them out. That will give you some seedy shard but I don't think you'd notice much.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Tony Serviente wrote:Mary-You could have a go at making your own. Try a large diameter drop out with the ring as high as your kiln will permit. You would have to have a generous lip or the glass will slip in. Cook the colors you want so as to maximize the drop, but not let it touch the floor. Cool and smash. Another option is to fuse big circles of the target colors on a shelf that has deliberately been made concave in the center. You would be deliberately trying to get the bubbles that most of us fear. Get 'em as big and glorious as you can, and as with the drop out you should have some pretty thin glass that is great for sharding. Granted this is low production technology, but might tide you over till Spectrum starts blowing bubbles.
i wonder if putting chunks under a large disk (ensuring air is trapped under it) and going quickly from 1100 to a hotter than normal fusing temp (eliminating the soak at 1100 that allows bubbles to get pressed out sideways) would ensure formation of large bubbles? you'd have to watch it carefully, or the bubbles would pop and you'd just get holy glass.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You might try supporting a small kilnshelf several inches off the kiln floor and overhanging a piece of glass just letting it bend and stretch out at slumping temperature. A 1" overhang that stretches 6" will be pretty thin.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun