Amended Challenge

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

darenest

Post by darenest »

Now here's a thought.......What is art to one person may or may not be art to another , so long as you feel SOMETHING :roll: when you see it!!
Brock

Post by Brock »

. . . . I'm not sure what I'm arguing about. In my gut I know its OK to make beautiful things. The impact of the piece at the non-intellectual level is not subordinate to or less valuable than social commentary, rational message, puns, whatever. I can't recall anything specifically you said, Jackie, that should have set me off about this. But it was fun typing, so I may as well post it.

I make some pieces with content, or a message . . .

But mostly, I just like to make beautiful things.

That's enough for me, most of the time.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I've turned away far too many artists at the gallery whose intent was admirable but whose work was really bad and not anywhere near gallery ready.
Dani, you misunderstood what I was saying. I never said that intent without any of the other elements that make up a piece is worthy. Obviously substandard work is just that - substandard. But if done correctly, the technique and process just disappears. Sort of like a good waiter - your water glass is always full, but you never even noticed they came back and refilled it.
Brock

Post by Brock »

darenest wrote:Now here's a thought.......What is art to one person may or may not be art to another , so long as you feel SOMETHING :roll: when you see it!!
Revulsion? Disgust? Familiar with the work of Vito Acconci? Brock
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Don, there is nothing wrong with 'just making beautiful things'. There's nothing wrong with making revolting, disturbing things either. Why would one choose to make one over the other? Their feelings, their intent, their emotions at the moment - whatever you want to call it. Or in your case, the choice to call it nothing at all. If you wanted to, and it's very clear you don't, you could just ask yourself why you chose to create the things you do rather than some ghastly morbid piece. That would be your intent. What I meant by the "don't ask, don't tell" thing is you know that there is something behind most work that you see, but you would prefer not to have to hear about it. I respect your opinion that the work doesn't have to "be about" anything - just be beautifully done. For me, deciding what I want to say in a piece makes it easier to execute, thats all.
David Williams

Post by David Williams »

Do you ever think maybe you guys have too much time on your hands? Also, I'm fascinated by the proliferation of the inspirational/witty quotes at the end of peoples posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm Rick James, Bitch!"

-Rick James
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Do you ever think maybe you guys have too much time on your hands?
Apparently so. My husband just came in and wondered if there was any chance I could get paid by the hour for my time spent here. He started out hoping for $50 an hour, skimmed through what I wrote and ended up walking out of the room saying he'd be happy if I could get $2.50.
:lol:
Siyeh

Post by Siyeh »

I wasn’t going to reply to this post or participate in the activity at this time because I didn’t feel I had the creative time and energy right now to focus on it. And then I realized that I did need to post because I was forced to do this exercise two years ago and it completely changed/opened up my work! I won't post the whole story here, but if you are interested, you can go to my website and click on the "Serendipity" tab.

PS--Please forgive the amateurish website. I have not moved it from the DSL freebie account to my domain yet so I am stuck with some pretty hokey layout options.
Brenda Griffith
Siyeh Studio http://www.siyehstudio.com
Glass Incarnate Daily Blog http://glassincarnate.blogspot.com/
A Beginner's Guide to Kiln-Formed Glass http://glassincarnate.com/thebook.html
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Ok, I'm in. I'll do a 2D, representational, gray scale piece using black powder.

Amy
darenest

Post by darenest »

David, If your work reflects your personality I am sure it is wonderful!!
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Jackie,

I have challenged Cliff Swanson to pair with me to swap each other's styles, since I think our styles are about as far apart as one can get.

He has agreed.

I told him I'd leave it to Jackie to give us our "assignments".

So, Oh-Great-Instigator? Tell us what we have to do.

Steve
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Sounds good to me Jackie.

For me it looks like a non-irid colorful piece with a completely random
design and non-functional shape. I'm in. Actually was thinking in this
direction for some time. Got some ideas that involve mica's. Going
to have to call Avery on this one and brush up on my notes from class.

Phil
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

OK - this is good - we're getting somewhere with this.

Brad, if people are planning to donate their "Alter" piece to the WGW Auction, (I think most are, no?) by what date do you want them, or do you even want them sent to you? If not, where do they need to go?

So far, these are the people who have shown interest in participating. If you are on this list and don't want to be, or if you want to join in, please just post that info in this thread and I'll keep track:

1. Jackie

2 Brock

3. Barbara M

4. Lisa A

5. Havi

6. Dani

7. Linda R

8. Tony

9. Bert

10. Bill Z

11. Amy (Milwaukee)

12. Doc Steve

13. Cliff Swanson

14. Phil Hoppes

15. Ron C

16. Rosanna

17. Charlie S

If you want to play but truly don't want to send your piece in for the auction, that's fine. (A small donation to the WGB schlorship fund couldn't hurt - but that will be up to you) As the pieces are finished please take an image that you can post in the Photos section. Once the first person is finished with theirs, they can start the thread in that forum, and as the rest of us finish ours, we'll add them. This way everyone who isn't going to WGW will still be able to see the results.

Once again, the assignment, as Doc Steve requested, is as follows: (If you already get the idea, you can skip the instructions - they are just there to help spawn ideas for those who are stuck)

1. Write down words that describe your work, it's usual intent (sorry Don - it's only a suggestion) the common processes or "tools" that you use to make you work. When I say "tools" I don't mean the actual real tools, although, you may choose to avoid the ones you use all the time as well.

2. Next, write down opposites of those words. Steve was questioning if all words even have opposites (Docters! Sheesh!) Surely some of the words on your list will - use those!

3. From your opposites list, start grouping words together that you think you can derive a piece from. This can be anything from the obvious, (if you work in geometrics, then do wiggly) to the more profound. The choice is yours. The idea is to get out of your comfort zone a little bit, expand your horizons, think outside the box and all those other good cliches -

You've got nothing to loose and a whole new world to gain, so have fun and try something new.

Jackie
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Phil Hoppes wrote:Sounds good to me Jackie.

For me it looks like a non-irid colorful piece with a completely random
design and non-functional shape. I'm in. Actually was thinking in this
direction for some time. Got some ideas that involve mica's. Going
to have to call Avery on this one and brush up on my notes from class.

Phil
I'm here for ya Phil....just let me know what you need.

I'll join this effort too. Let's see....this will eliminate sandblasted black irid, platter shapes, dichro, gold lusters, AND micas ... OH NO(How will I live????)!

Avery
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Can't get past step #1. I'm too all over the map to be able to find an opposite in style or intent (screams "needs therapy" doesn't it) and the only tools I don't use, I don't own! I feel like I am always outside the box! I'm not sure that is a good thing... Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with though...I'm very curious!
Amy (not Milwaukee)
Brock

Post by Brock »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:Can't get past step #1. I'm too all over the map to be able to find an opposite in style or intent (screams "needs therapy" doesn't it) and the only tools I don't use, I don't own! I feel like I am always outside the box! I'm not sure that is a good thing... Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with though...I'm very curious!
Amy (not Milwaukee)
C'mon you chicken. I can think of an opposite for you. SMALL!
Robin Z

Post by Robin Z »

Sign me up! Sounds like fun.

Robin Z
Robin Z

Post by Robin Z »

Sign me up! Sounds like fun.

Robin Z
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:Can't get past step #1. I'm too all over the map to be able to find an opposite in style or intent (screams "needs therapy" doesn't it) and the only tools I don't use, I don't own! I feel like I am always outside the box! I'm not sure that is a good thing... Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with though...I'm very curious!
Amy (not Milwaukee)
what about if you thought of lots of color, high fire and small pieces of glass as your tools?
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I think the biggest part of this challenge comes before I set cutter to glass.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS