Applying for a Pilchuk Scholarship

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dick Ditore

Post by Dick Ditore »

Got my catalog. Inspiring, intimidating, exciting,intimidating... I agree, Doug would be a GREAT TA! Will apply and pray to the kiln gods!

Dick
Cheryl

Thanks for the Red Deer info

Post by Cheryl »

I guess a lottery is a lottery...I'm trying for Pilchuck this year, too. And there's always corning..
Brock

Re: Thanks for the Red Deer info

Post by Brock »

I don't want to speak derogatorily about any teaching institution, (Duh! I make part of my living through teaching) and particularly not Corning, which is an excellent educational facility, but . . .

. . . Pilchuck is special. Pilchuck is magic.

There is is something about the intensity, and the confinement to the campus, and the groupthink that develops while you are there that is just beyond Art and Education and Learning. It's some kind of osmotic diffusion sneaking into your soul, of an ethos, a more, a way of doing, that educates and illuminates and leads you to a new reality, or a freedom that you didn't even know you wanted.

Pilchuck is my drug of choice. I'm not alone. Brock
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

Sounds like the best way to learn. Wonderful. It sounds like there really aren't any words to describe the kind of environment Pilchuck is, just a thing you have to experience to understand. Hope some day I will be able to go. Gonna apply for scholarships but not holding my breath.

Amy
Brock

Post by Brock »

It really is indescribable, all you can do is hurl superlatives at it. You should definitely go, as should Dick, and Jackie, and Steve,and Phil, and so on and so on . . .

I hope you all get the chance, it's becoming more and more difficult.

Supply and demand. Brock
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

[quote="Kathie Karancz"]Thanks Brock: So after the beginning of March, if I don't hear from them, I should start the pestering process (or harassment whichever I feel is the most effective)?? Are they pretty good about letting you know right away if your not picked?? Sounds to me like I need to go cuz it will be a great experience with regards to the glass but it also sounds like a health farm (ie, I could lose a few pounds and get healthier - can't remember the last time I took a decent walk up a hill.... oh, oh...) Doesn't matter, if they pick me, I will HAPPY :lol: HAPPY :lol: ....
Any rich Coca Cola dealers out there lookin for a way to spend their money??????
K[/quote]

I live fairly close to the school. Maybe I should start a back yard BBQ for Pilchuck Student. Sounds like you're real starving artists.
Or maybe I should consider the overnight daycare option for, um say, 18 days or so at a time.... :lol:
~ Joanne

"What neglected medication made you think THAT was a good idea??"
- me, to myself
Barb

Post by Barb »

Just don't forget about that knapsack full of $$$$ ! :shock:

Barb
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Or maybe I should consider the overnight daycare option for, um say, 18 days or so at a time....
Oh Yippee! She's no problem at all . . . really! :twisted:
shesh46

Pilchuck

Post by shesh46 »

I have been there twice and you forgot about the huge slugs. Mice are nice compared to stepping on one of them! Pilchuck is an amazing place to be and you can learn from everyone there. I am in Klaus's class this summer. Anyone else going that session?
Sheila
MarlaS

camp morgan

Post by MarlaS »

jackie, trade you morgan-care for fusing-tutoring........!
Jackie Beckman

Re: camp morgan

Post by Jackie Beckman »

marla wrote:jackie, trade you morgan-care for fusing-tutoring........!
#-o Now you tell me, Marla! I didn't apply to Klaus' class, and it's way too late now. Although by the sound of it, the chances of getting in were very slim anyway. But you're commited now, I'm afraid. Next time he's teaching someplace expect a little . . . um . . .care package with a small girl attached!
MarlaS

Post by MarlaS »

she should have a ball going to nature camp w/ dana....just let me know which session & they can wear each other out........!