Recommendations for/against kiln dealers?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

dblood

Recommendations for/against kiln dealers?

Post by dblood »

Hi,

I am going to buy a Skutt GM814 18" kiln, and my question is, who should I buy it from? I am seeing prices ranging from $810 to $940. Cline Glass has it at $810, Georgies at $914, crloo.com at about $940, allstainedglass.com at $890. That's the price without furniture included.

Any recommendations/warnings? General principles for selecting a dealer?

Thanks!
David
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

You live minutes from Centre DeVerre. Save the shipping and get it there. No sales tax either, if I recall correctly.
Bert Weiss

Re: Recommendations for/against kiln dealers?

Post by Bert Weiss »

dblood wrote:Hi,

I am going to buy a Skutt GM814 18" kiln, and my question is, who should I buy it from? I am seeing prices ranging from $810 to $940. Cline Glass has it at $810, Georgies at $914, crloo.com at about $940, allstainedglass.com at $890. That's the price without furniture included.

Any recommendations/warnings? General principles for selecting a dealer?

Thanks!
David
Don is right it is a no brainer. Go see Marty up in Allenstown. People shop there from all over the globe and you are minutes away. he is also a distributor for Bullseye and CBS as well as several kiln companies. He is also well known for excellent customer service.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Doris Sisk

Post by Doris Sisk »

I got my Skutt 814 from Marty at CDV a year ago. He was great to work with, as has been Skutt, by the way.
dblood

Post by dblood »

Thanks everyone! Didn't know it was close by!
Gabriel

go see Marty

Post by Gabriel »

Give Marty a ring at cdvkilns.com. He helped me order a custom Jen Ken and will spend a lot of time with you to also help identify the best kiln for your application and environment. He even managed to talk me out of a more expensive Genesis kiln which I had my heart set on, so I would guess he is truly in it for the love and not the money.