Bullseye sample sets- Striking Colors

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Steve Immerman

Bullseye sample sets- Striking Colors

Post by Steve Immerman »

I have one of Bullseye's Kilnforming Sample sets, that I've had for about 8 years now, and have added updates a couple of times. I just ordered the 2003 update so I could see exactly what some of the new, cool, colors look like.

To my disappointment, all the striking colors came "unstruck" with a label that says someting to the effect "Strikes to Sunset Coral upon firing"

Am I missing something here, or does that make those samples kind of useless for kilnformers?

I suppose I could fire the samples, or buy sheets and make my own reference samples - but that sort of obviates the value of buying a sample set. I use these as color references when ordering glass. So, how am I going to compare, for example, the "violet striker" to light plum, light violet neo lavender etc when I can't see the color.

Is the issue that it strikes to different colors depending on the fusing temp?

I just found this kind of odd. I think it would be nice if they included both the struck and unstruck color. Or an extra piece so we can create our own striking sample.

Yes, I know I'm ranting. Sorry.

Steve
camaro

Striking color

Post by camaro »

I just ordered from BE and it does show the before and after strike color in their new catalog. Unfortunately you are correct, yes you will need to fire the glass at fuse temp to get the strike color. I also WAS going to order some of them, but like you I did not want to keep samples of the strike color after fuse, after all these little buggers begin to creep into my space more than I like. Hope that helped, good luck.
camaro
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Doc, you're behaving too scientifically....stop it!

Of course it would make sense to send them "struck", in fact it would be even more sensible to send two pieces, before and after since that is the nature and selling(?) point of the glass.

Just go fire them and then order another set so you'll have both. You're forgiven for ranting.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Try ordering some "strikers" that are 'originally' BLUE. They can strike neo-lavendar, blue, pink or violet. It is really hard to file the unfired sheets so we don't pick up the wrong one. I recently ordered 1122.50 red and got an "orange" which struck RED. Aaarrrgh! - Barbara
Barbara J Cashman
http://www.glastile.com
Glass Tile Manufacturer
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

I just placed an order directly with BE because I couldn't find their new Opal Olive Green with any of my other suppliers. I mentioned that I wished BE made a "caramel" brown and Taylor said they do. It's just one of their special order colors. :!:

Special order colors !!! "Ooohhh, I asked, what else is available in special order?" Well, they have, in addition to the caramel, a Persimmon Red, Spicy Orange (hoping this is a terra cotta color), Tomato Red and deep red. I've ordered 10x10 of each of those, but they don't have ANY larger sheets of the Olive ](*,) which was the reason for the call. They don't sell samples of their special colors. Smallest size is 10x10.

Steve, I only have BE stained glass sample sets. I'm glad you posted because I've often though I was missing out because I didn't have the kiln forming set. I assumed, like you, that they'd send fired samples. No logic in Corporate America.

I fire small (5mm) square samples of all my glass. I keep it in a white dish in the shop. It's helped me alot when picking colors.

Just my .02 ...Kelly
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Special order colors !!! "Ooohhh, I asked, what else is available in special order?" Well, they have, in addition to the caramel, a Persimmon Red, Spicy Orange (hoping this is a terra cotta color), Tomato Red and deep red.
They have lots of special colors that aren't considered stock. But they only have them sometimes, so don't get spoiled with one! Spicy Orange is not really Terra Cotta colored. I happen to love the color, so if you know my pallette, that should give you some idea of what it's like. Tomato too. Yum!
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

I've been temped to order the entire catalog again and just fuse the whole set so I would then have a book of fired and unfired colors.

Hey Lani, can we get a fleet rate!!!

Phil
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

Yeah, that bugged me too, but I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to order extras, so I came up with this solution:

I cut all of the striking colors in half lengthwise and fired one half of each one. (I made a numbered map of the layout on the kiln shelf so I wouldn't mix any of them up)

Then I taped the halves back together (thought about copper foiling them, but I'm just as lazy as I am cheap)and stuck them back in the set. Done and done.
:mrgreen:
gone

Post by gone »

Jackie Beckman wrote:
Special order colors !!! "Ooohhh, I asked, what else is available in special order?" Well, they have, in addition to the caramel, a Persimmon Red, Spicy Orange (hoping this is a terra cotta color), Tomato Red and deep red.
They have lots of special colors that aren't considered stock. But they only have them sometimes, so don't get spoiled with one! Spicy Orange is not really Terra Cotta colored. I happen to love the color, so if you know my pallette, that should give you some idea of what it's like. Tomato too. Yum!
Have you seen pimento? I has "Jackie" written all over it.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Have you seen pimento? I has "Jackie" written all over it.

Ooohhh yes. If you look in the gallery here Els, the piece called Intrigue In Red is Tomato and Pimento together. It's my favorite pairing and when I start a new piece I have to force myself not to use it every time! :D All reds are good reds, but these are the best reds.