How fast to fire a pot melt

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lonman

How fast to fire a pot melt

Post by Lonman »

Can anybody please tell me how fast to get up to 1600+ degrees for a pot melt? Or does it even matter?

Thanks
Lonman 8)
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

It only matters that if you go too fast it is theoretically possible that your pot or your shelf could crack. I usually use 2000dph.

Steve
revjerry

Pot melt

Post by revjerry »

Steve,
I'd like to see your kiln! Are you really able to make 1600 in less than an hour? Hate to have your electric bill. But that's a good answer. I know that my kiln doesn't go much faster than 900 an hour but I don't like going that fast. You know my process, and within that process I usually go at 600 an hour to protect the pots, kiln and the base glass. Probably faster won't hurt anything.

BTW, a customer was in the shop this week and asked if I'd ever considered making a pot melt into a table top? Interesting thought. Certainly there's size limits, but I think it can be done. Anyway, there's some new food for thought.

Will I see you in Corning?

Jerry
Steve Immerman

Re: Pot melt

Post by Steve Immerman »

Revjerry wrote:Steve,
I'd like to see your kiln! Are you really able to make 1600 in less than an hour? Hate to have your electric bill. But that's a good answer. I know that my kiln doesn't go much faster than 900 an hour but I don't like going that fast. You know my process, and within that process I usually go at 600 an hour to protect the pots, kiln and the base glass. Probably faster won't hurt anything.

Will I see you in Corning?

Jerry
I have a Paragon GL22 with elements in the top, side and doors. I don't exactly know how fast it heats up when I set it to 2000dph. Never timed it. Next time, I'll keep an eye on the clock.

Not sure about Corning yet.

Steve
Brock

Post by Brock »

I'd like to see your kiln! Are you really able to make 1600 in less than an hour?

There's a certain engineer type on this board who has built the fastest kiln I've ever heard of.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Hmm....now who would that be....

Can you say 3000 DPH!!

FireBoy

OBTW.....not the fastest. A prof at my old Alma Mater did a little better

http://www.discoverchemistry.com/dcv2-d ... fault.html

He got to 10,000 degrees in about 1/2 second. The faculty made him take down his web site. :-( I saw it before they made him remove it. VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!
Havi

Post by Havi »

:?

can you excuse me? what is pot melting? do you use a wok for this?? sorry to be such ignorant....... perhaps this is something new I could enjoy??

thanks,
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

heruviva wrote::?

can you excuse me? what is pot melting? do you use a wok for this?? sorry to be such ignorant....... perhaps this is something new I could enjoy??

thanks,
Havi,

There's a great book called Techniques of Kiln-formed Glass by Keith Cummings. In it he describes what he calls a 'kiln pour' and many variations on pouring... among many other techniques that we talk about on this board. If you want to learn many many different way to form glass in a kiln, this is THE book. Lots of information, history, great pictures...and more techniques than you can possibly ever even try.

A pot melt is simply a variant of pouring...Fill a clay flower pot with three colors of glass, divided into three sections, suspend the pot above the shelf with a bridge of kiln furniture and heat to about 1700F until it starts to flow out of the drainage hole and onto the shelf giving you a spiral design of how the glass flows onto the shelf (think honey off of a spoon...spin, drizzle).
Havi

Post by Havi »

Thank you guys for the pm's and the on board explanations!
I am very grateful! I remember now I tried this in one of the workshops I attended, it was not very successful, though

hopefully I shall try it again :D :D
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com