hot box conversion

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tamara Baskin

hot box conversion

Post by Tamara Baskin »

i would like any inf. on converting hot box so i can make free form stringers.
thank you
Tamara
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I bought a steel shelf unit at home depot for $19 and drilled a 1½" hole through the shelf. I took a couple pieces of ceramaguard (but any ceramic fiber board will do) and stacked them and drilled a hole through them (about 1" diameter) and put them on the shelf with spacers between the ceramaguard and the shelf to let air flow so the shelf doesn't get too hot. Make sure all your holes line up. I put a 4" terra cotta flower pot on top with its hole centered over the hole in the ceramaguard and the hotbox on top of that with the lid. Fill the pot with glass pieces (not small enough to fall through the hole) and turn the hotbox on high. http://www.amsmith.com/techniques/vitrigraphshelf.jpg

I put a stainless steel wok on the bottom shelf. When the glass is hot enough, your first dollop of glass will ring the bell when it hits the wok. Control the thickness with the temperature dial. Cooler is fatter/slower. Hotter is thinner/faster. You'll develop techniques for pulling faster or holding it up so it slows down.

Wear eye protection and leather gloves/long sleeves and handle the stringer with long tweezers. You can cut it with regular scissors or with tin snips as long as it's not too far below the hotbox.
http://www.amsmith.com/techniques/vitrigraph.jpg

Good luck. Be careful.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Tamara Baskin

Post by Tamara Baskin »

Thank you Tony will do as you say. I had my first studio on mass. ave. in arlington mass. moved to florida it is warmer.
Tamara
Tamara Baskin

Post by Tamara Baskin »

Thank you Tony will do as you say. I had my first studio on mass. ave. in arlington mass. moved to florida it is warmer.
Tamara
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I can appreciate that. I had to get out of town over the winter just to thaw out.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun