This was buried in another post so not many people saw it...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Pam Hrycyk

This was buried in another post so not many people saw it...

Post by Pam Hrycyk »

Brad Walker wrote:The good news, I guess, is that I want to update things to create the kind of database we'd all like to see. I just am not sure I have the programming ability (or the time) to do it. Anyone out there know php and is willing to donate some hours?
Brad seldom (if ever!) asks for help and I'm not sure enough people saw this request so I'm copying it and reposting it. If I knew anything about php I would certainly donate some time, unfortunately, I don't even know what it is. Anyone else willing to help?

Pam
Susan B

Post by Susan B »

What kind of data base are you talking about?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

IamSundancer wrote:What kind of data base are you talking about?
MySQL.

The original comment that Pam quoted was made in response to a request that we be able to search the memberlist by various criteria. Right now it's only accessible sequentially and can't be searched.

In addition to the ability to search the memberlist (by location, for example, as well as name), I'd like to be able to search studios that are offering courses to find one in your area. The first would be an application that builds on the database I already use, the second would be a totally new application.

These wouldn't have to be written in php, but that language is commonly used with MySQL. I could probably figure out how to do it, but don't really have the time.
dee

Post by dee »

Brad Walker wrote:
IamSundancer wrote:What kind of data base are you talking about?
MySQL.

The original comment that Pam quoted was made in response to a request that we be able to search the memberlist by various criteria. Right now it's only accessible sequentially and can't be searched.

In addition to the ability to search the memberlist (by location, for example, as well as name), I'd like to be able to search studios that are offering courses to find one in your area. The first would be an application that builds on the database I already use, the second would be a totally new application.

These wouldn't have to be written in php, but that language is commonly used with MySQL. I could probably figure out how to do it, but don't really have the time.
brad - is this info currently in a mysql db? if you have the db structure handy, i could write the sql statements needed to pull the data but i don't know php, only coldfusion so someone would have to build the interface to use the sql statements and output the data.....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

dee wrote:brad - is this info currently in a mysql db? if you have the db structure handy, i could write the sql statements needed to pull the data but i don't know php, only coldfusion so someone would have to build the interface to use the sql statements and output the data.....
D
Yes, it's current in a MySQL db, but there would need to be some tinkering (splitting location field, for example). I could probably write the sql statements to do all this (that's not too difficult or time-consuming), but I just don't have the time to write the interface.
Dani

Post by Dani »

But, since I asked the original question, I might suggest strong consideration as to whether it is worth the effort to begin with..... Is searching the member base going to be an important enough thing to justify the time and effort? How many times has the issue come up?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Dani wrote:But, since I asked the original question, I might suggest strong consideration as to whether it is worth the effort to begin with..... Is searching the member base going to be an important enough thing to justify the time and effort? How many times has the issue come up?
Somebody asks me about it around once a month, maybe more. I don't know how many people wonder but don't ask.

To me, the real value is to be able to have a database of kiln-forming artists so that people could find out who's in their area, etc.