Little Joe

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jackie Beckman

Little Joe

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Here's a recent piece that actually worked out the way I wanted.

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67 ... 771acbc4dd

(Although, I did end up flipping and firing the working deep piece and at least it's got a flat face - still have a little coldworking I want to do on it before I re-post that one.)
Brock

Post by Brock »

Beauty, Jackie. You've certainly found your voice. Keep singing. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Very nice Jackie... Junior is quite striking!

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Stunning as usual Jackie--I like new coldworking textures. What is the back board made of--is it metal? and how are they spaced away from it--they seem to be floating.
-A
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Thanks guys.

The piece is mounted to powder-coated aluminum, Amy. The panels are spaced with 2" aluminum blocks that make the glass appear to float away from the surface a little bit. I draw the bases out on paper (insert arguement here) and Roger builds them, then I have them powder-coated.

Funny: One of my galleries mentioned in my online bio, "her husband builds the bases to her specifications . . . blah, blah" and I thought he'd finally be thrilled at the recognition. When I showed him he said, "Roger! Her husband, Roger, builds the bases . . ." :lol:
Amy on Salt Spring

Oh this is too funny!!! My husband builds my frames so the "insert argument here" is hilarious to me! Here is something to tell Roger to make him feel better--I keep coming up with pieces that require a completely different kind of framing system from the last piece. Every time I complain about how long it takes to complete a frame my husband says, "Its a different frame every time! You tell me what you want and I have to figure out how to do it all over again! You can have it faster if you would just make a piece with a frame like any of the other pieces you have done already!!!!". He hardly ever raises his voice but he does during this particular argument. I had to tell him last night that the next two pieces are going to need different frames for each...he just sighed. I better make sure his name appears somewhere!
:D
Amy
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

We have this issue too, Amy. After a while he made a template so he "wouldn't have to figure out the measurements next time" but he realized that we'll never need that template - nothing's ever the same size. And to make it worse, nothing I make is ever exactly square :lol: so all that silly little 1/32" measuring is useless. And worse yet - when I buy the metal from the store, I buy cut-offs because they're so much less expensive, so even if I do make something with the same size panels, the mounting is never the same.

I think you're right - if we could just get their names in there someplace, all the "issues" would resolve themselves.

Apparently it's me who starts each arguement, with the following words: "This time I'd like to try . . . "
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Amy, here are some snapshots (post-brawl) of one of the mountings being built:

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67 ... 770fe20556
Amy on Salt Spring

That's great--very clear. Obviously you don't get it powder coated with the glass on there so what did you use to test mount the pieces onto the frame? Do you mount it with silicone for the final assembly? I've used silicone and found it to be reliable but so far its been on a big surface area and you are just using those little blocks so I wondered if it was what you used.
I think we have two keepers for husbands! I try to make all the work he does for me worth his while :wink: I mean cooking nice meals of course!
Amy
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Beautiful work Jackie.....as always! You've definitely developed your style to perfection!

Tell Roger I'm very impressed with the mounting systems he is doing for you. I wish we were closer...I'd hire him in a minute, although I'm sure that wouldn't be high on his list of enjoyable past times. Say Hi for me!

Avery
Marty

Post by Marty »

You-all have to see these in person!!! I just helped unpack stuff for the upcoming glass show at http://www.ironwoodgallery.com and Jackie's work sings!!!
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Amy on Salt Spring wrote:That's great--very clear. Obviously you don't get it powder coated with the glass on there so what did you use to test mount the pieces onto the frame? Do you mount it with silicone for the final assembly? I've used silicone and found it to be reliable but so far its been on a big surface area and you are just using those little blocks so I wondered if it was what you used.
I think we have two keepers for husbands! I try to make all the work he does for me worth his while :wink: I mean cooking nice meals of course!
Amy
The pieces come apart for assembly, Amy, so I do use the actual glass to test mount. For the bigger red piece, there are French cleats mounted on the back of the glass, and the mate mounts on the big flat base. Cleats also on the back to mount the piece to the wall. We assemble the whole thing to make sure it hangs right, then take it apart to send to the powdercoater. For the smaller one (Little Joe) those cubes are drilled and tapped and then they screw on to the base. I do this for ease of shipping. I grind the surface of each area to be bonded and use silicone and then don't touch it for 48 hours. Knock wood - I've never had a failure with this method. In fact, once on a broken piece I tried everything I could to get the bond apart and I simply couldn't budge it. (Solvents, wire - you name it!)
Beautiful work Jackie.....as always! You've definitely developed your style to perfection!

Tell Roger I'm very impressed with the mounting systems he is doing for you. I wish we were closer...I'd hire him in a minute, although I'm sure that wouldn't be high on his list of enjoyable past times. Say Hi for me!

Avery
Thanks Avery - I'll tell Roger you like his work! But as far as hiring him, there's a steep "price" to be paid, Missy! Just thought I'd warn you.

You-all have to see these in person!!! I just helped unpack stuff for the upcoming glass show at http://www.ironwoodgallery.com and Jackie's work sings!!!
Thanks Marty :oops: Glad to know they are safe. How did the photo shoot go?? Do I owe you a million dollars?
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Nener Nener Nener..... I got to see it firrrrrst and I got to see it in person........ \:D/

Very Beautiful Jackie. As always. So very very happy for you to be in this upcoming show. Your work has just really blossomed.

Phil

PS - Now you have to post some pictures of the Hot Rod when it is done so everyone can get a view of Roger's art work. Trust me people, this thing is a sight to behold. And for those into cars this is a real Tim Allen Arh, Arh, Arh, Arh......

PPS - Le Taco's are now Le Lampshades :D
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Good news about the shades, Phil. I was hoping that mold would work out for you.

I DO plan on posting images of the hot rod when it's done. Are you kidding me! And I don't think it will be too far off now. We've got some fancy multi-step Plum-Crazy-Purple paint out there and two months ago he made the interior appointment for sometime in June. The interior will be the only part in this entire 4-year, frame-off project that he'll be hiring out. (The motor and blower thingy have been heard whispering to eachother in the garage that they think it's finally getting close. \:D/ )
twinkler2

Post by twinkler2 »

Hi Jackie

I have always enjoyed your work...the colors are the best ! Puts you in a good mood as soon as you see it :) Very fun pieces !
It is all so inspiring that your husband helps you bring your concepts to life !

Keep posting

Kindly
Me Kim