slumping molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dave Pascoe

slumping molds

Post by Dave Pascoe »

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help me.I want to make some molds to slump into.I`ve been using BE ceramic molds for a while and I really like the finish on them.
What are your recomendations for a mold mixture?I don`t have any experience with clays or pottery.I have made some molds from fibreboard and moistpack before.
Any help is appreiciated,thanks,dave
susan fancy

Post by susan fancy »

In addition to clay and mostpack options are molds made from hydroperm, hydrocal, or similar materials, these take detail and are pretty easy to work with. I like Boyce Lundstrom's books for the subject of molds (Glass Fusing Books 1, 2, 3). C&R Loo on the West coast carries some of the easier to work with mold formulas suggested in his books if you don't feel like making it up yourself (in 50 lb bags for $20-$25 if my memory is correct).

A good clay supplier will have general books and videos about moldmaking.
sslickk

Post by sslickk »

HI,
I make all my molds from very small detailed ones for pendants and components to large platters from RAKU clay (go to your local clay supply outlet and ask for Raku body),, here in SA it's 50lbs for under $17.00

And I get a lot of forms and molds out of that.

JC
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

As a sculptor I make all my molds myself. The rest of
the work is but clear glass :D

Raku clay is sure good, it is designed to stand thermal
shock.

I have used low fire clay with 25 per cent of 0.2 mm chamotte (=grogg). It takes several firings.
I kilnwash it when dry but before the first firing.

Another good clay I have used is papaerclay. Clay mixed with cellulose fibers. It does not shrink much and makes
a breathing mold.

For onetime molds I use plaster-caolin-grogg micture
with aluminium oxide added the surface against the glass.

-lauri