another ethics Q

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rosanna gusler

another ethics Q

Post by rosanna gusler »

ok, i am going to try this Q again. how do you all handle giving credit for information used? i want to include meanings to some ancient symbols that i am using. i am getting these meanings from books and the internet. is this just a non issue? rosanna
Bert Weiss

Re: another ethics Q

Post by Bert Weiss »

rosanna gusler wrote:ok, i am going to try this Q again. how do you all handle giving credit for information used? i want to include meanings to some ancient symbols that i am using. i am getting these meanings from books and the internet. is this just a non issue? rosanna
Rosanna

If you want to explain meanings and give credit to your sources, you allow the reader to opportunity to further investigate. Sounds good to me.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Common definitions can usually be used without attribution, but if there is interpretation and explanation involved, you really need to include a reference. The problem with internet sources is that it's hard to know the real source of the information. So the best you can do is give the URL as the reference.

If you are including information with your pieces, you can provide a short bibliography under your explanation, or add "bibliography available on request" and have it available on a separate page.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Carol

Re: another ethics Q

Post by Carol »

rosanna gusler wrote:ok, i am going to try this Q again. how do you all handle giving credit for information used? i want to include meanings to some ancient symbols that i am using. i am getting these meanings from books and the internet. is this just a non issue? rosanna
Hi Rosanna,

If this is for a hang tag, there's not really room to incorporate references, nor do I think there's a need. These symbols seem to have a universal meaning when you research them, although the exact wording/interpreation may vary depending on the author. If you're doing a scholarly paper on ancient symbols then of course you would want to include references.

A contemporary example of putting a reference to a widely known symbol would be giving a reference for the meaning of a cigarette with a red circle and line through it. Redundant. At one time ancient symbols were just as commonly understood by the culture aka in the public domain of the time.

My 2 cents worth

Carol