controlling the firing rate of a quickfire...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lauren

controlling the firing rate of a quickfire...

Post by lauren »

yes i have a stupid li'l marshmallow :P with an infinite control switch....i want to start working on pattern bars and thicker pieces.....but it heats up too quickly! on the lowest setting (min) it still heats up at somewhere around 500 degrees an hour...is there any way i can control the rate more? now i've just been turning it off, letting it sit and then turning it back on...i don't know if this uneven heating is bad or not, but it sure is a pain...

any suggestions welcome

peace
- lauren
kazindc

Quick-fire

Post by kazindc »

Go to http://www.aaproducts.com/kilnPar120v.html they have an infinite switch for $49 that is made for the QuickFire kiln. It lets you control the heat..low...medium... high, works great for larger or thicker pieces.
karen
kazindc

quick fire

Post by kazindc »

don't know why the link isn't working ..just go to aaproducts.com and click on the 120v kilns.. it's the second item shown..
karen
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Lauren, I found that annealing thicker pieces in my quickfire was exceedingly difficult. When I used the quickfire (and I love it) I limited myself to small normal thickness pieces just because there was no way to control the annealing temperature. After several anneal breaks I decided that I should just work smaller till I got a larger kiln. Is there anywhere in your area where you can rent time on a larger kiln? That would be a way to get the thicker pieces made and annealed. Good luck! :D

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS