how far over edge can I slump?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ann Demko

how far over edge can I slump?

Post by Ann Demko »

I have a blank that extends over the edge of a 15" bowl mold by 1/8 in and in some places 3/16 in. Can I slump into the mold and get away with it? I have a side fire kiln and am afraid the edges will droop down before the weight on the rest of the piece starts to slump pulling the edges into the bowl form. I am lazy and don't want to have to grind that much of the edge around such a large piece but will if I have to.
Lisa Allen

Post by Lisa Allen »

Ann, I frequently have pieces hanging over the edge of my molds by up to 3/4" and they slump fine at 1150 without drooping. But, I am not sure how a side fire only kiln would do with that, maybe baffle around the piece to keep the edges from heating up too fast.

Lisa
Lisa Allen
http://www.lisa-allen.com
Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Ann,

You should have no trouble slumping it with that small overhang. There might be a slight mark from the edge of the mold on the around the perimeter of your bowl. Slump it at the lowest temperature possible and that will minimize the marks from the mold.

cheers,

Bob
Ann Demko

thank you all.

Post by Ann Demko »

Appreciate the time you al took to respond. Ann