Glass stuck to side of kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nancy Juhasz

Glass stuck to side of kiln

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Here we go again. Earlier today I asked how to get the glass off my kiln shelf where the bottle ran over the side. I have a worse delima. The damn bottle not only migrated to the edge of the shelf but while folding over the shelf attached itself to the wall of my kiln. :evil: The kiln side is fire brick. I have a Skutt octagon. How on earth do I remove this from the brick. I don't want to take a big chunck out of the brick. As far as I can see the element is not at all involved just the brick. Argh when I do something wrong I really do a good job of it. Thank you all for any help.
Nanc
Susan Molnar

Post by Susan Molnar »

Let your kiln cool down to room temperature, unplug it BEFORE reaching inside. If the elements aren't involved chances are the glass can be gently pulled away from the wall with no damage to the fire brick. Because it's a vertical surface the glass doesn't get a good "grip". There is something called kiln cement which is used for fire brick repair if you do pull a small piece off. Good luck
PS Yep, it happened to me - maybe I was just lucky.
Susan Molnar
Glass House Designs
Lowell, MI.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi there, if it IS stuck to the wall and does not want to come off with a gentle tugthen do not force it. get a tool (knife, xacto) and pick at it like it was a fossile. if you tug, it might pull out a larger chunk than if you carefully cut it out. UNPLUG first. rosanna