Slumping Question from Rank Amateur

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

hillbillyhippiechick

Slumping Question from Rank Amateur

Post by hillbillyhippiechick »

I just returned from my local restaurant supply store, and my mind is reeling with possibilites for all the cool little stainless steel cups and plates and trays I bought to use as molds.

Here's my question...when slumping INTO a form, is it necessary to have holes drilled in the mold for some kind of a release?

Seems like I read this somewhere, but then again, I could have hallucinated the whole thing. :roll:

While I've got you here, what are your recommendations for material to use when making your own molds?

TIA.

Jen
Brock

Post by Brock »

It IS necessary to drill a hole, or holes into the bottom of slumping molds to allow the air beneath the glass to escape. My favourite mold material is stainless steel. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
BobB

mold materials

Post by BobB »

We purchased some greenware bowls, platter and plates and use them to slump into. They work good. Holes need to be in the bottoms for air release like stainless and the greenware has to be fired to bisque. The pottery place we purchsed the greenware from would fire it to bisque for us for a few dollars per piece and volunteered to drill the holes. We ended up drilling and firing them ourselves. Be sure to kiln wash the bisque molds before use. We also buy low fire clay by the pound to make different mold shapes. Take a flat piece of clay, find some interesting shape and press it into the clay leaving an impression. Fire to bisque, kiln wash and fill with frit. And you have a small kiln casted item.

Stainless steel bowls, cups, etc.. can be purchased from Big Lots, Walmart, garage sales make good molds and can be found failry cheep.

Good luck.
BobB
hillbillyhippiechick

Thanks for your prompt responses! I like the idea of using the greenware. We don't have much in these mountains, but we do have ceramic places a plenty (now if I can just find something other than geese wearing bandanas lawn sculptures and open-mouthed frog soap holders I'll be in business!).

It seems like every object I pick up these days is viewed from the perspective: "Hmmm...what can I make with this?"

I read in the archives about raku clay. Is that the best for easy mold making? I want to slump some glass incense holders...yes, my goals are simple. Can I fire the clay in my Jen-Ken?

So many questions...it's just that I'm so excited to have found this board!

Thanks again,
Jen
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Jen,

I have found that the chunks of grog in raku clay made it difficult to get a smooth surface on the mold surface.

Cheers,

Bob
BobB

molds

Post by BobB »

Might have a big business if you can make pink flamingos from glass. :D Concentrate on items "your" customers will buy.

Since I'm not a cermaics person I can't speak to Raku clay. I'll leave that to the clay Gods to answer. As to firing in your Jen King. Most ceramic kilns will fire to 2300 degree. I've been told that's the temp to get the bique to "mature". Our glass kiln only goes to 1700. I fired our molds to 1700 and held for an hour. I've been using them over and over for the last 6 months without any problems. It could be more fragile than a fully fired bisque piece, but for our use it's ok.
Good luck, have fun. And by the way you are now officially hooked on glass. enjoy. :wink:

BobB
BobB

one more

Post by BobB »

Oh one more thing. When firing clay in your kiln let them air dry for a couple of days. When you put them in your kiln heat them SLOWLY to 200 degrees, hold for at least an hour (depending how thick they are) then ramp up slowly. If you heat them too fast the moisture inside the clay will heat too fast, become gas(steam) and can cause the mold to explode. It isn't fun cleaning out the reamins of a mold you worked hard on making. :oops:

BobB
hillbillyhippiechick

Glass flamingoes might be a little upscale for this market. I'm in Bristol, so maybe I can come up with some kind of NASCAR item...fused glass beer coozies, perhaps? Slumped fried chicken buckets? I'll keep brainstorming.

Thanks for all the great info! And yes, I am hooked on glass. As a child, I used to melt my crayons on the wall heater in my bedroom, marveling at the swirling colors. Glass fits in well and feeds my "molten" fascination. :oops:

Just one more thing...if you don't use raku, what kind of clay do you use? I figure I can just take an existing incense burner and make several impressions in one slab so I can make more than one at a time. Seems like a fairly simple thing to start with.

Thanks,
Jen
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Jen,

I just ask the local pottery supply store for clay that will withstand multiple firings to 1500F and take what they give me ... I think it is stoneware or porcelain. (To be honest I don't worry too much about what kind of clay)

Cheers,

Bob