Re: Using a torch in the kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lynne Chappell

Re: Using a torch in the kiln

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I want to do some flamework on the surface of a piece while it is at fusing temperature. I could remove it from the kiln while I do this, but since I'm a bit of a klutz, I'm afraid of dropping it on the floor. I'm thinking I would like to do it while it is in the kiln.

I will be using the Skutt Clamshell, so it's relatively easy to access (both for flaming it, or removing it). I was going to use my "Hothead" torch (no oxygen) but I don't think I want to have any gas filled rubber hose close to the heat of the kiln. If I attach it directly to a 1lb canister of gas I'm thinking that may get hot. I don't really want to have any explosions (the insurance company was already on my case about the kiln, to say nothing about my body). I know that others have done this, so what kind of equipment did you use?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Hi Lynne,

I've used the Goss AP-111 torch head (it has an 18" extension on it).
http://www.gossonline.com/combination_torch_&_tip.htm

I think I bought it through MSC Direct. http://www.mscdirect.com

This torch connects to a standard 20 lb propane tank via a 12 ft hose. You may be able to buy a similar unit in a kit with regulator, hose and torch.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Thanks Tony, I kind of thought an extension would be the thing, if I don't want to take the glass out of the kiln. I'm not sure about using a regular torch though, as all the others I've used create a pretty serious reduction and sometimes discolor the glass. I'm just wanting to take the surface of the glass up to a higher temperature to melt in some metals. Some reduction is a positive thing but I'm not sure how much before I won't get what I want. What were you trying to do with your torch?
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Lynne Chappell wrote:Thanks Tony, I kind of thought an extension would be the thing, if I don't want to take the glass out of the kiln. I'm not sure about using a regular torch though, as all the others I've used create a pretty serious reduction and sometimes discolor the glass. I'm just wanting to take the surface of the glass up to a higher temperature to melt in some metals. Some reduction is a positive thing but I'm not sure how much before I won't get what I want. What were you trying to do with your torch?
I think there was chat on this here and over craftweb
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Lynne Chappell wrote:Thanks Tony, I kind of thought an extension would be the thing, if I don't want to take the glass out of the kiln. I'm not sure about using a regular torch though, as all the others I've used create a pretty serious reduction and sometimes discolor the glass. I'm just wanting to take the surface of the glass up to a higher temperature to melt in some metals. Some reduction is a positive thing but I'm not sure how much before I won't get what I want. What were you trying to do with your torch?
Lynne,

Depending on your torch, you may be able to just buy the extension. Goss makes them 12, 18 and 30 inches long... I'm not sure if they would fit on a standard 1lb propane torch head, but it would be an inexpensive solution.

I've used the torch a few times for healing stress cracks in pieces after they've been slumped by bringing the part up to 1000° then heating the glass locally with the torch until the crack full fuses. Those attempts have been quite successful. I've also been unsuccessful melting frit locally to fill divots. I also discovered that the torch will burn the iridizing off glass... other than that, it's really pretty straight forward... you just have to remember that the torch and extension are VERY hot when you're done.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
David Williams

Post by David Williams »

Lynn I use an Exact Swedish hand torch which is a single fuel propane torch. You can get long extensions for it and it comes in different btu heads. The one I have is I think 266K btu's which actually throws your hand back when you pull the trigger we call it the Werner von Braun torch. We use it in the kiln and at the bench for reduction effects. I think you won't have alot of success trying to heat stuff in a kiln with a wimpier torch. Because you're fighting the fast outflow of heat from the door, a big piece of glass laying on a big heat sink, etc. But those big torches are pricy.
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I think before I spend a lot of money on new torches, I'm going to try pulling the glass out of the kiln and torching it to see what happens. I don't need to bring the whole piece of glass up high, just melt the surface. I was going to put the glass on fibreboard to make it easier to pull and to forestall any thermal shock. If I try it this weekend, I'll let you know if it worked.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Lynne, you need a tiger torch used by torch on roofers. There are short handle ones and long handle ones. Convoy roofing supply. Don't have their number or location on the mainland. If you are really worried about heat on the hose, burn out the organics in fibre paper or blanket that you can use to wrap the hose, then cover the blanket and hold it in place with aluminun foil. The tiger torch is instant on off so you can see what you are doing. Kevin
Heather Nelson

Post by Heather Nelson »

Lynn,

I just joined this Forum to give you a reply. I'm sure it will come in handy in our business also.

What we do very often if we need to put a torch in an oven /kiln is wrap the hoses and the torch, as far as you can go ,with aluminum foil. Works great. Make sure you have worm gear/pipe clamps on your hoses. If the torch gets a bit warm the hoses will expand and blow off. Not fun....

Good luck,

Heather :
charlie

Post by charlie »

Kevin Midgley wrote:Lynne, you need a tiger torch used by torch on roofers. There are short handle ones and long handle ones. Convoy roofing supply. Don't have their number or location on the mainland. If you are really worried about heat on the hose, burn out the organics in fibre paper or blanket that you can use to wrap the hose, then cover the blanket and hold it in place with aluminun foil. The tiger torch is instant on off so you can see what you are doing. Kevin
weed burner at harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=36346