Glastar Blaster Foot Pedal Problem

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

Glastar Blaster Foot Pedal Problem

Post by Paul Tarlow »

I have a Glastar pressure pot with the foot pedal.

Whenever I step on the foot pedal it stays "on"

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I don't have a glastar footpedal, but my footpedal requires at least 60lbs pressure to close properly; considerably more than what I charge my pressure pot with.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

db wrote:I don't have a glastar footpedal, but my footpedal requires at least 60lbs pressure to close properly; considerably more than what I charge my pressure pot with.
Thanks - that did it.
Marty

Post by Marty »

There should be a 20psi differential.

Also after a while you'll need to change the diaphragm if the air won't shut off.
Cliff Swanson

Post by Cliff Swanson »

Paul,

I had a similar, perhaps identical, problem with my Glastar pressure pot and foot pedal. When I released the pedal the grit flow would continue unless I physically shut the mixing valve at the bottom of the pot. When I would then reopen the valve, there was no grit flow until I activated the pedal again. I went through all the usual issues regarding the pressure differential to make the pedal work properly, etc. Then I noticed that activation of air flow and grit flow (depending on how I had the mixing valve set) behaved appropriately if I took the nozzle off the hose. I eventually realized that everything worked correctly if the nozzle diameter was larger than 1/8". I generally blast with a 1/16" nozzle for carving, and the smaller nozzle diameter seemed to be the root of the problem in my rig. Herb Funk at Glastar was really good about working with me, and sent 3 different foot pedals because he thought they may have had a QC issue with the valve block tolerances. One of the 3 he sent actually did behave better than the other 2, but it wasn't perfect. To be honest, I eventually replaced the Glastar foot pedal with one from Rayzist, which improved the situation. The Rayzist pedal is quite a bit more robust. Every once in a while now I have persistent flow after releasing the pedal when I'm using a new 1/16" nozzle. It's not full flow, just some whispy air and grit. I basically have learned to live with it. You might try taking the nozzle off your blast hose and see if the foot pedal activates and deactivates flow correctly. If you're using small diamter nozzles, I bet it's the same issue.

Hope this helps,

Cliff
Larry Cush

Post by Larry Cush »

I have the same problem with my glastar foot pedal. I have found that it stops working properly when the pressure in my wimpy compressor cant keep up. I find I have to stop and shut off the mixing valve and air valve then empty the excess grit from the blast hose. I then restart the valve settings and everything is fine. In my opinion it is almost intirely a pressure related problem. I like the glastar setup except for the foot pressure switch. I feel it is poorly located for me as I move my equipment around. I also tend to hold the switch in my hands when blasting as I move around alot and dont keep my feet in one place. I am a dancing blaster master in my own mind. I also worry that the thin plastic hose will not hold up in the long run. cush
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

I use 5/32" nozzles with my Glastar foot switch, and don't have any problems so long as the pressure differential between the two regulators is large enough (I use 30 psi). I've had my switch for several years and haven't had any problems with the plastic tubing: it seems to be pretty rugged stuff, even though I've certainly stepped on it lots of times. But it's a good idea to take your regulators apart now and then and give them a good cleaning. My only problem with this system has been that the stiffness of the plastic tubing sometimes makes it hard to keep the foot switch where I want it on the floor of the blast room. Mounting the switch on a block of 3/4" Corian solved this problem.