Cold polishing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cliff Swanson

Cold polishing

Post by Cliff Swanson »

The thread related to my previous question about polishing discs morphed, so I'm starting a new thread with a related question....

I now have the small disc kit from His Glassworks. The mandrel shafts fit a standard 1/8" Dremel collar, which I have. I used the discs on a piece of scrap glass that I scratched with a diamond stick, just to practice before working on a real piece. All seemed to work just fine, but I have a technique question. My Dremel tool is a variable speed model, so I have the option of varying the speed of the tool, as well as my hand pressure while polishing. I tried both on the practice piece. For you cold working gurus, what is generally the most efficient and effective combination of speed and pressure when buffing out a blemish using 600 grit diamond pads followed by cerium on felt pads?

TIA,

Cliff
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Cold polishing

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Cliff Swanson wrote:The thread related to my previous question about polishing discs morphed, so I'm starting a new thread with a related question....

I now have the small disc kit from His Glassworks. The mandrel shafts fit a standard 1/8" Dremel collar, which I have. I used the discs on a piece of scrap glass that I scratched with a diamond stick, just to practice before working on a real piece. All seemed to work just fine, but I have a technique question. My Dremel tool is a variable speed model, so I have the option of varying the speed of the tool, as well as my hand pressure while polishing. I tried both on the practice piece. For you cold working gurus, what is generally the most efficient and effective combination of speed and pressure when buffing out a blemish using 600 grit diamond pads followed by cerium on felt pads?

TIA,

Cliff
U gotta watch out for heat but usually diomond is fast n cerium slower

U will probably need a pumace stage ?
Doug

Post by Doug »

Brian's right

also

you can go

to craftweb and

find out more

about polishing