Not crying but................

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bkfoltz

Not crying but................

Post by bkfoltz »

Yesterday morning I thought I would be crying because the kiln did not shut off and the kids tiles cooked at 1300 for over 14+ hours.

I have learnt my lesson and will start the kiln in the AM. This way I will know that it is on the cool down by the time I leave school.

Here is a link to the glass art page if the school website.
The first 2 pics are of the good tiles, 2nd two pics are of the tiles from when the kiln did not shut off correctly.

The last pic is of some pins I made teachers.

I have at least 4 more batches of tiles to fuse. The kids have had a great time doing them.

http://www.anoka.k12.mn.us/education/co ... 1053013510
dave laporta

Post by dave laporta »

can you share a bill of materials you used for this art glass project? I offered to do this same this with my daughter's fourth grade art class. How much glass did you need to get, etc.

TIA

Dave
Riverviewglass

Post by Riverviewglass »

:P
Thank you for sharing these pictures with us - it is GREAT to see young people working with glass and learning a little bit about kilnformed glass - I know I always enjoy it at art shows when young people come in my booth and tell me they have worked with glass in school - sometimes they even teach their parents about how much goes into each project!

the colors were great!

did you get the glass donated???
Kim K
bkfoltz

Post by bkfoltz »

We purchased some of the scrap from PJ Sweeney of PJewelry for a small fee.

Keiko Okahashi for Lokahiglass donated 60 lbs of scrap. We paid the shipping.

We have around $300 invested in the project. (glass, thin fire, super spray, kiln-fire glue, zinc.) And I have around 10 hours of my own time. Plus the hours that I work at school.

I will have lots of stuff to do during the summer to get the tiles hung on the windows. Most of them are going in zinc frames mounted in windows around the school. the tiles made with solid back ground glass are going to be used for a wall by the office.

I will post more pics when we get them done. I have around 5 loads ready for the kiln.