Glass changing colour during fusing - new fuser needs help!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sarian

Glass changing colour during fusing - new fuser needs help!

Post by Sarian »

I am very new to fusing, and have had no difficulty with black and blue bullseye, but when I fuse red, or pink bullseye it either goes black or a yucky pink colour :(
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I have a kiln with a digital readout and am fusing using the following guidelines 500 for 25mins - 800 for 25mins - 1000 for 20 mins and 1472 (800 c) for 10 mins. I am venting and annealing.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Sarian
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I'm supposed to be in the yard working, but it's too hot.

I'm a little confused by your schedule, but you might be using a controller that you program in a way I am unfamiliar with, or your times you refer to are soaks??? Anyway, none of your temps are extreme, but if those are soaks, they aren't necessary. Still I don't see that your schedule could be causing the problem unless you are firing hot, and 1470 isn't that hot.

Are you using any overglaze? Spray A or any lead bearing flux or overglaze will react with some glasses and I think some of the reds might be reactive to the lead.

BE makes a pink glass that strikes (changes color during firing) to salmon. It looks pink before fired, then strikes to salmon. Is your pink perhaps that glass? The product code is 0305 for the salmon. Pink opal is 0301 and if I remember correctly, it strikes to a brilliant vivid pink, but 305 is closer to a dusky salmon color.

Reds can shift or strike colors. I've seen bright red opal and transparents strike to poopy brick red with high temps or repeated firings, but rarely...and never have I seen it strike to black. :?
Sarian

Post by Sarian »

Thanks Cynthia,
I am not using any overglaze. The times I am referring to are soaking times as recommended in a glass fusing project on about.com. Is there a better way to do this?
You were right - the pink is 0305. (salmon)
Thanks for your help.
Sarian
Mary Kay Nitchie

Re: Glass changing colour during fusing - new fuser needs he

Post by Mary Kay Nitchie »

Sarian wrote:I am very new to fusing, and have had no difficulty with black and blue bullseye, but when I fuse red, or pink bullseye it either goes black or a yucky pink colour :(
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I have a kiln with a digital readout and am fusing using the following guidelines 500 for 25mins - 800 for 25mins - 1000 for 20 mins and 1472 (800 c) for 10 mins. I am venting and annealing.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks
Sarian
Hi Sarian--

I have some questions for you--
What exact style code is the red Bullseye glass? (It's a number or number with a letter---for example "0114-30F")
Is the red glass opal or transparent in the cold sheet?
What exact style code is the pink glass?
Is the pink glass opal or transparent in the cold sheet?

I can tell you more about what to expect from these glasses after I know what color styles you are using.

Were there any labels on your glass that said "Bullseye Compatible" or "Tested Compatible"? Keep in mind that Bullseye makes stained glass (not designed for kilnworking) as well as tested compatible "fusible" glass (designed for kilnworking). Both categories of glass can look identical, so be sure your glass dealer knows that you need fusible glass.

If you are using glasses or pieces of glass that have long been separated from their original labels, it is best to proceed with an attitude of experimentation and acceptance of surprises. You might want to fire a test tile including a small piece of each of your glasses to see what colors you can truly expect. This is particularly important for people who are very discerning when it comes to color.

Feel free to send me email with more information and we will try to solve the mystery.

Mary Kay Nitchie
Bullseye Glass Co.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Sarian wrote:Thanks Cynthia,
I am not using any overglaze. The times I am referring to are soaking times as recommended in a glass fusing project on about.com. Is there a better way to do this?
You were right - the pink is 0305. (salmon)
Thanks for your help.
Sarian
Start here with this link. It's firing schedules BE recommends for their glasses. Also check out the tutorial offered on this board. If you haven't already, get Brad Walker's Book "Contemporary Warm Glass" It is user friendly and pretty comprehensive.

http://www.bullseye-glass.com/techinfo/fire.html

Talk to Mary Kay too about your red glass. She will be able to help you solve your baffling red / black glass thing :-s .
Sarian

Post by Sarian »

I am very grateful to Mary Kay Nitchie form Bullseye Connections - she has given me a great deal of help sorting out my colour changing problem. I am now able to produce lovely deep red fused pieces.
I just wanted to let everyone know that with the help from Mary my problem is now sorted. Thank you, Mary. :lol:
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Sarian wrote:I am very grateful to Mary Kay Nitchie form Bullseye Connections - she has given me a great deal of help sorting out my colour changing problem. I am now able to produce lovely deep red fused pieces.
I just wanted to let everyone know that with the help from Mary my problem is now sorted. Thank you, Mary. :lol:

So, what was the solution to the Red to Black change?

Jim
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Sarian wrote:I am very grateful to Mary Kay Nitchie form Bullseye Connections - she has given me a great deal of help sorting out my colour changing problem. I am now able to produce lovely deep red fused pieces.

So, what was the solution to the Red to Black change?

Jim
Sarian

Post by Sarian »

Hi Jim,
The results of my work with Mary Kay were that there was a possibility that I had been sold non fusible Bullseye glass. My firing schedule was too long, and the sterling silver I was using as the loops was causing the glass to discolour.
Mary Kay produced a firing schedule which suited the size of my kiln and the items I was firing.
I bought another batch of glass which was marked fusible.
I am still using sterling silver in the loops but am happy to accept the graduated effect that results.
I also know a little more about which glass changes colour on firing.
Thanks
Sarian
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Sarian wrote:Hi Jim,
. My firing schedule was too long, and the sterling silver I was using as the loops was causing the glass to discolour.

Sarian
Hi Sarin. Did you see the post/pic that I posted about a week ago about fine silver turning BE 0124 black where it emerges from the glass sandwich?

For beads or something similar, it is a nice affect.

Jim