Silver leaf effect

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Peg

Silver leaf effect

Post by Peg »

I have fused gold leaf in a 'Bullseye sandwich' with good results - now I want a silver equivalent. Of course silver leaf itself will merely stain the glass yellow - any ideas as to what I can use to get a metallic silver leaf effect? Is there such a thing as platinum leaf?
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

yes, and palladium as well, although neither will give you the same effect that silver can. If you use silver leaf under irridized glass or unde Bullseye's "crystal clear" (I forget the stock number) you should get the silver without any staining.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

A good quality silver foil will stay silver. Bullseye sells a foil that will work.
Paul Bush

Post by Paul Bush »

I use Bullseye's silver foil under their regular clear all the time, and have had no yellowing.

Paul
Paul Bush
Flying Fish Studio
Portland, Oregon
Strega

Post by Strega »

I think the only problem you MIGHT have is if you are not sandwitching it or take the temp too high. I include old broken jewelry in my fuses sometimes, and it generally doesn't change if it is "captured".