glass color compatability

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ann Demko

glass color compatability

Post by Ann Demko »

I have checked the archives and have read that in general yellows, oranges and reds don't do well with blues and pinks. I think they were talking about frit and creating new colors. I want to make a BE bowl with opaque yellow and other primary color design elements but am afraid for fear of having strange color shadows or inventing new ugly colors. Anyone out there that would advise me against this. I really want a beautiful colorful bowl and can't afford any mess ups right now. Thanks. Ann Demko
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

I usually test strips of colors against each other to see what the reaction, if any, will be.
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

With the exception of colors that are reactive or striking colors, what you see is what you get. Barbara gave you the best advice possible. test the glasses you want to work with and see what happens first. You can fire them up fast and cool them fast since they will be small test strips...

Some colors that do react with eachother creating a discoloration where they touch are turquoise with ambers and yellows....but not all will react, so test... test... test... Saves you heartache now, and time down the road.

Also, you can buffer colors (reactive glasses) from each other using thin clear between them.
Ann Demko

thanks

Post by Ann Demko »

I have two test strips going as we speak. I can hardly wait to see the results. I have them in the kiln with a blank I am fusing so it will be awhile, but good things come to those who wait. Ann