Second pot melt stuck

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jon Wunderlich

Second pot melt stuck

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Well the pot melt I did last night stuck. Blue and white Bullseye the same 11/ 12 coats of wash, (I'm using Paragon high fire wash that came with the kiln). The first one did fine, same wash, same schedule. I was going to take a picture but my camera battery died. Got the shelf upside down right now hoping it all comes off. Lots of fine cracks because of the sticking. I anneal like all my pieces of the same size. Full to 960 hold 35 to 45 min., 140 to 700 deg., off. I did take it back up to 1650 after the melt was done (read this in an older post) to smooth it out and get rid of bubbles. Maybe I should have done this step in a second firing. Maybe I can use the glass in another melt if I can get the wash off.

Jon
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Jon, you should be able to sandblast off whatever is stuck to the bottom of the glass once (and if you get it off the kiln shelf. Unless it breaks, you can use it the way you planned to. If it breaks then you will see th amazing innards of a pot drop. THen you can slice it up and use the slices as components. I often like the slices better than the whole.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS