ARTform Palm Beach: Sales Report

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Lani McGregor

ARTform Palm Beach: Sales Report

Post by Lani McGregor »

I thought many of you might want to hear how sales have been for some of our board regulars at this very prestigious show of dimensional art.

Steve Klein has already sold 7 of 9 works exhibited in a price range up to $5500, many of the works being purchased by fine art collectors - who seem more partial to kilnformed glass than do glass collectors.

Keith & Deanna Clayton have also had rather phenomenal success (but I'll leave the details to Keith - are you home yet? - since I'm not familiar with all his sales), only to say that they seem to have been the best selling artists at the Riley Gallery booth with at least 4-5 works sold in a range up to $11000.

Otherwise, sales have not been spectacular here with lots of worries about war and the economy.

Heading off to the last day. Cheers, Lani

PS. Steve, Keith/Deanna: I hope you don't mind my having posted these numbers. I think that all of you are an inspiration to all of us on this board who hope to find success (both creatively and financially) with this powerful glassworking method.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Congratulations to all involved, very well deserved success. Brock
Jo Holt

Post by Jo Holt »

Brock wrote:Congratulations to all involved, very well deserved success. Brock
I second that! Kiln work being noticed in style! :D
Keith Clayton

Post by Keith Clayton »

Yes Lani I am home-I'm off tomorrow to teach at Kent State then Cleveland Institute of the Arts-back to back.
Yes
Palm Beach was an amazing show for us-we ended with 5 sales at the actual event ranging from 7,600.00-11,800.00-and 4 commissions for wall pcs.-some of which are even larger. I am very fortunate to be involved in a series that can fit spaces with flexibility and that has helped.
Having said that I will report the truth of the event -just as Lani stated-dismal. War worries, the economy,general oversaturation of high quality events have really led to poor sales for most. The statement Lani made regarding Steve's work rings true with ours-fine art colectors have really taken to the wall pcs. Not that glass colectors are not just as interested but technique is less of an issue than ever and that's refreshing.
I will say that Deanna and I really worked extremely hard for this event having bailed on Baltimore and the work showed when set up was done. And as Steve can tell you I already E-mailed him to say I thought his work looked stunning and very compelling in the space. Maybe more so than SOFA Chicago last year.
This kind of exposure and sales when surrounded by every other form of glass and all the masters really shows something-Kiln formed glass has a serious place and is being accepted by many more than mere glass enthusiasts. I say get ready for a new era people our time has come.
Sorry for being lengthy
But it could just be the high quality of the glass being used-what do you think Lani?
By the way-Florida 90 degrees and sunny -great to see you Lani and you too Steve.
Keith
Sara

Post by Sara »

Yo Lani,

I wanted to report on Glass Craft Expo which was a show of a different color on the other side of this rather huge continent in what felt like a completely different universe:, ah Las Vegas!). It was great seeing Mary Kay again instead of only on phone conversation.

Sales were primarily for glass craft supplies and my husband David and I purchased quite a bit from the Bullseye booth, thank you very much! Our dichroic beads and pendants were well and excitedly received. Mark from the board stopped by to say hello to us too. . . was anyone else there????

Whilst many are taking fused glass to the higher realms thought you'd like to know that we nanoglass fusers are still having a hell of a good time:) and continue to take your beautiful glass to even smaller and smaller proportions:)

Happy melting,

Sara
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

Hi Sara,

I'm finally back in the wet-n-windy Northwest and am comparing notes with our crew who went to Vegas for Glass Craft Expo while my team was in South Florida.

You're right, of course, GCE was buzzing and the excitement was largely about smaller work, but still largely dominated by kilnforming. Our show survey showed that attendees wanted to learn about doing kiln glass before any other method, with flamework and blowing tying for second place. Clearly, heating stuff up is hot.

I also am curious about how many of the WG board members went to Vegas.

If I could figure out how to attach a poll to this post, I'd do it. Brad, am I dreaming, or did I see some sort of poll capability to this new-fangled board you've gotten us all so (almost) well trained on?

-Lani
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Lani McGregor wrote:I also am curious about how many of the WG board members went to Vegas.

If I could figure out how to attach a poll to this post, I'd do it. Brad, am I dreaming, or did I see some sort of poll capability to this new-fangled board you've gotten us all so (almost) well trained on?
No, you weren't dreaming (I should hope you'd have better things to dream about).

At the bottom of the post form is a section labelled "Add a Poll". You just need to fill out the blanks. This only shows up when you start a new thread, not when you reply to an already existing thread.
K Okahashi

Vegas Show

Post by K Okahashi »

Hello all, I have attended the Vegas show for the past 3 years (I admit, mom lives there so I HAVE to go). I've noticed much more focus on warm glass which is really nice. I figured it would be my last year of attending so I took the following classes: Jayne Persico's Embossing, Linda Abbott's airbrushing, and Lisa Richardson Bach's metal and glass.

All three classes were good- I'd recommend these teachers in the future (believe me, there are some teachers there I wouldn't recommend). They all followed the objectives of the posted class. Jayne's new embossers allow an opposite relief (kind of like branding) into warm glass. Simple technique which allows for saved time if you want to provide relief into your work. A little pricey but I understand the cost factor in buying enough stock up front. The thing I'm mostly excited about is being able to have your own designs created with these embossers (you own branding irons if you will)- although, you can also have your own metalsmith do them too.

Abbott's class introduced me to airbrushing with those Aztek airbrushes everyone talks about. We also practiced some basic design elements with airbrushing. The only thing I was a little disappointed was with the painting on paper- vs. my personal agenda of wanting to learn how to apply micas on glass. I think I've figured that out so now I have to get my own aztek. This class was a bit cramped with each of us sitting so close due to equipment layout. Overall, there was good information shared.

Lisa's class was fairly cut and dried. This class was held on the convention floor so we had to contend with the music, announcements, oh, and of course the fiasco of the building maintenance turning off all the kilns the night before! (It wasn't our class but some folks were quite upset). I had a chance to work with stencils and micas (an area that escaped me before), different wire meshes embedded, etc. Patty Gray was able to come in and talk with us about her ways of applying gold leaf and shared some ideas. I was able to talk briefly with her as she was pulled to the Spectrum 96 booth to get back to real work.

I have to say, one thing I thought was very cool about this year's show was the "hand's on" booths- Spectrum 96 allowed folks to make fused pins, PMC allowed folks to play with the clay, Glastar of course had their sandblasters. It was larger than in the past.

My friends also attend other classes- and there were major problems with the sandblasting ones as they never started on time,went late, didn't get to even halfway finish projects, oh , and of course, they were taping it which made it hard for all the students. Were students allowed refunds, of course not!

I know this is lengthy, but I think it provides the good, bad and ugly. Again, my only "gripe" (if you will) is that there's no quality control on some of these classes. Once you pay it, you are stuck even if the teacher has marginal knowledge of the medium, extremely disorganized, or has an ego bigger than the room. They do have an evaluation form but I don't know if the show planners or anyone reads them. Some teachers who should not be teaching at all were still there. The sad thing is that there seems to permeate a believe (especially from old time glassers) that this type of outcome is acceptable. I say, as we move from a growing and maturing industry, we should expect more from ourselves and even our teachers.

never knows enough girl :roll: