Question for Brad, etal- Ethanol

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Davidknox

Question for Brad, etal- Ethanol

Post by Davidknox »

Brad,

I've been chasing down a random weird devit/sludge problem that may be kiln paper/kiln wash/regular devit/kiln brick/saw blade slurry/ etc related - a ghost in the machine type problem. While researching, I found in the archives your adamant statement not to use denatured alcohol to clean the glass. I use it pretty much exclusively because I find it to evaporate out so cleanly without residues as long as I don't let it dry on the glass without wiping. I have not had any divit/sludge problems (except for float)but this new process I am working on is really touchy and I am ruling out all the "usual suspects" and now down to the regular citizens.

Please give me your thoughts on denatured alcohol and why it is not a good agent to use for cleaning. I do notice that isopropyl removes blood stains better from the glass, which is an interesting chemical note. If the problem doesn't go away, I'll be back and outline it for the group to chew on. I've read a ton on the topic in the archives and elsewhere.

Regret I have been slacking on participation- just been jamming. I even had to re-register on the site and figure out the new format.

Best Regards,
David Knox
charlie

Post by charlie »

denatured alcohol has 'stuff' added to make it denatured. what this is can be lots of different stuff, and you'd have no idea what it was bottle to bottle. anything that you don't know what it is is suspect.
Davidknox

Post by Davidknox »

Thanks Charlie- They say it is denatured with methanol but since I use the Home Depot variety, it could be "the idea of methanol". I think I should try high purity isopropyl and see if it makes a difference. At least I know what I'm getting then.
David
Dani

Post by Dani »

I haven't had problems with denatured alcohol either.... just lucky? Hmmm. :?:
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

I've been using plain, white vinegar. Have I been lucky so far and am I just asking for trouble? Don't want to find myself in a pickle
Brock

Post by Brock »

Glassyeyed wrote:I've been using plain, white vinegar. Have I been lucky so far and am I just asking for trouble? Don't want to find myself in a pickle
If it's working for you, don't change.
Just stay cool as a cucumber and you'll be okay.

Brine
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Amy Schleif-Mohr

Post by Amy Schleif-Mohr »

David,

Could your problem be a mineral in your water?

I have a very high lead content in my water so am careful to even clean off the water with isopropal alchohol.

Amy
Delores Taylor

Post by Delores Taylor »

Amy Schleif-Mohr wrote:David,

Could your problem be a mineral in your water?

I have a very high lead content in my water so am careful to even clean off the water with isopropal alchohol.

Amy
I think water is a problem too, I've noticed this with glues also so I would put it in the probable causes.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been unable to get online for a few days.

Basically, Charlie's response is what I would have written. Denatured alcohol is made by adding things to alcohol to make it undrinkable. Some of those additives may cause problems when fusing. Some brands will work fine and some will not (and some brands that once worked may stop working due to manufacturing changes) -- I'd rather be safe than sorry, so recommend isopropyl alcohol for those people who want to clean with alcohol. It's less likely to give you trouble than denatured alcohol.

I also recommend using distilled water for diluting anything, for similar reasons. Better to know you have no troublesome minerals or additives than to take a chance.

Vinegar should work fine for cleaning. For most cleaning jobs, soap and water (or just plain water) works well also.