French cleat

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sherry Salito-Forsen

French cleat

Post by Sherry Salito-Forsen »

working on a pc I want to attach a french cleat to, am planning on using MDF and using E-6000 or silicone......does anyone think there would be problem with expansion with wood creating stress on glass??
thanks for any input
Sherry
Brock

Post by Brock »

Absolutely no problem, it works beautifully. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Ron Coleman

Re: French cleat

Post by Ron Coleman »

Sherry Salito-Forsen wrote:working on a pc I want to attach a french cleat to, am planning on using MDF and using E-6000 or silicone......does anyone think there would be problem with expansion with wood creating stress on glass??
thanks for any input
Sherry
MDF is very stable as far a expansion is concerned, with very little change due to moisture in the air. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you use a flexible adhesive like E-6000 or silicone. If you use a paint finish on the MDF don't coat the side you intend to glue.

Ron
Sherry Salito-Forsen

french cleat

Brock& Ron,
Thanks , I was hoping this would work. the pcs I'm working on, are 18" squares ( 1/4 thick) .Which do you think would be stronger E-6000 or silicone ?? I've used E-6000 for smaller pcs that have been hanging for about 6 or 7 years with no problem but am a little nervous with weight/ size of these pcs. Once again thanks,
Sherry
Brock

Re: french cleat

Post by Brock »

Sherry Salito-Forsen wrote:Brock& Ron,
Thanks , I was hoping this would work. the pcs I'm working on, are 18" squares ( 1/4 thick) .Which do you think would be stronger E-6000 or silicone ?? I've used E-6000 for smaller pcs that have been hanging for about 6 or 7 years with no problem but am a little nervous with weight/ size of these pcs. Once again thanks,
Sherry
I just go to a Home Depot, or similar store and get some Silicone. I'm not name or brand loyal, I just grab whatever's available. Ive hung pretty heavy stuff of of a pad of silicone. I guess one thing to consider would be the size of the cleat. More surface area siliconed, more strength. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Sherry Salito-Forsen

Brock,
plain silicone or latex silicone?
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

I've been using this method too, Sherry...

To allow for movement, the hole in the glass is 6mm diameter and the securing screw is 3mm diameter. Also, there is a thin plastic washer between the screw head and the top of the post that the glass rests against.

Just another way to look at it.

Reason I used this is because the gallery wanted the glass secured by mechanical means, not adhesives.

Let us know how you get on and have a great day.

Paul

ps -This digital camera is wikid! (Olympus C1 zoom)
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

crystal clear silicone by GE is pretty great. i'm not a fan of E-6000. i have long and unhappy experience with it failing later on down the line. places like walmart and hardware stores have the GE silicone in smaller tubes, or in the type you put into a pressure gun. i've used the GE stuff on projects like what you're talking about, and it aint goin' anywhere, trust me. kitty.
John

Re: french cleat

Post by John »

I just go to a Home Depot, or similar store and get some Silicone. I'm not name or brand loyal, I just grab whatever's available. Ive hung pretty heavy stuff of of a pad of silicone. I guess one thing to consider would be the size of the cleat. More surface area siliconed, more strength. Brock[/quote]

DowCorning 793 is the ants pants for siliconing glass :)
Mike Byers

Post by Mike Byers »

The latex-silicone doesn't have much silicone in it, so I'd definitely go for the 100% silicone.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Kitty wrote:crystal clear silicone by GE is pretty great. i'm not a fan of E-6000. i have long and unhappy experience with it failing later on down the line. places like walmart and hardware stores have the GE silicone in smaller tubes, or in the type you put into a pressure gun. i've used the GE stuff on projects like what you're talking about, and it aint goin' anywhere, trust me. kitty.
The plastics guy who cuts my acrylic french cleats swears by the GE brand silicone. He says he tested all sortsof brands and this one works for him. As far as the longevity of silicone goes, there is a huge horspital sign he did with tons of silicone adhering that has been out in the elements for nearly 20 years. I'd say silicone is a better bet than E6000.

Just make sure you don't jiggle it till it is completely set up. And if for some reason you need to remove it afterwards, a razor blade will do the trick.
Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Sherry Salito-Forsen

french cleat

Thank you all for your responses.I feel much better having ALL of your experiences as my guide.
Off to the studio, glass is calling to me.
thanks Sherry