Need help from Skutt 1414 and BE users

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Stacey Jones

Need help from Skutt 1414 and BE users

Post by Stacey Jones »

I recently purchased a Skutt 1414, coffin style kiln, after having used a ceramic type Skutt. I have been using BE glass, and following a modified BE fusing schedule. Most recently I tried to use a high tack schedule to leave texture to my pieces. As a result, I got alot of bubbles, and some were shaped quite long. My fusing schedule was: dph300 to 1000º, dph 600 to 1250º hold 30 min., dph600 to 1400 hold 10 min, dpl9999 to 960 hold 45 min., dpl200 to 750 hold 10 moin., dpl 335.....A similar full fuse to 1480 worked fine.

I am wondering if I would be better off using the Skutt programs as a base, rather than the BE programs. Does anyone have a Skutt 1414 and use BE glass that could help me out? I am having my first "trunk show" on June 21st, and need help FAST! Thanks in advance
Jo Holt

Post by Jo Holt »

Stacey,

I usually go 250F/hr thru the bubble forming temp - I have a short hold at 1050F then go 250/hr up to 1300, then bump it higher up to the top temp. Or go low and put a short hold in too; whatever works best for you. I don't have your kiln but do have the 41" Jen-Ken that's a glass brick kiln - probably comparable.

You may have been just lucky when you did the full fuse with no bubbles. It's not much longer to slow it thru that temp range and I find I just put it in all my ramps whether I think I'll get bubbles or not to be safe :lol:

Hope this helps

Jo
PDXBarbara

Re: Need help from Skutt 1414 and BE users

Post by PDXBarbara »

Stacey Jones wrote:I recently purchased a Skutt 1414, coffin style kiln, after having used a ceramic type Skutt. I have been using BE glass, and following a modified BE fusing schedule. Most recently I tried to use a high tack schedule to leave texture to my pieces. As a result, I got alot of bubbles, and some were shaped quite long. My fusing schedule was: dph300 to 1000º, dph 600 to 1250º hold 30 min., dph600 to 1400 hold 10 min, dpl9999 to 960 hold 45 min., dpl200 to 750 hold 10 moin., dpl 335.....A similar full fuse to 1480 worked fine.

I am wondering if I would be better off using the Skutt programs as a base, rather than the BE programs. Does anyone have a Skutt 1414 and use BE glass that could help me out? I am having my first "trunk show" on June 21st, and need help FAST! Thanks in advance
Hi Stacey. I have a 1414. I have never used the built-in schedules. Mine is one of the first 1414s they sold... & I've had my share of problems with it... but most are with the kiln's structure... not fusing problems. Maybe my problems are because Skutt hadn't worked out their bugs with glass kilns & your experience with the 1414 will be better, I hope. Not dissin' the Skutt folks; just MY kiln.

For what its worth....Barbara
Barbara Bader