Where can I get 6" X 48" diamond belts for a wet b

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lynn Bishop

Where can I get 6" X 48" diamond belts for a wet b

Post by Lynn Bishop »

Oh, I'm a happy girl. Looking through the "Thrifties" this weekend, I spotted a self feeding diamond bladed wet (lapidary) tile saw for $90 (works Great!), and a combo wet belt sander and disc grinder for $40 on an older, but sturdy wheeled cabinet with storage. However, the sander didn't come with diamond belts, and so I'm wondering where people go to get the best deals. I can hardly wait to start using these! Lynn Bishop
Brock

Post by Brock »

Hmmm. I did a quick google, and didn't find that belt size. Is there a manufacturer's name on the sander? You may need custom belts made.

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Where can I get 6" X 48" diamond belts for a w

Post by Brad Walker »

Lynn Bishop wrote:Oh, I'm a happy girl. Looking through the "Thrifties" this weekend, I spotted a self feeding diamond bladed wet (lapidary) tile saw for $90 (works Great!), and a combo wet belt sander and disc grinder for $40 on an older, but sturdy wheeled cabinet with storage. However, the sander didn't come with diamond belts, and so I'm wondering where people go to get the best deals. I can hardly wait to start using these! Lynn Bishop
I suspect the unit you found may be made by Kalamazoo Industries in Michigan: http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/ I'd ask them about belts (they make a 6" by 48" wet belt sander), but I suspect that you'll probably find silicon carbide belts, not diamond ones.

If you want diamond, you'll most likely need to have them custom made. A Yahoo search on "custom diamond sander belts" came up with several places that make them, the most notable of which was Covington.