Returns

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Dani

Post by Dani »

He was probably more reasonable because he had a woman's intelligence guiding him behind the scenes, and you were probably coming from a less fearful place because you had some muscle behind you! And they say the sexes can't work together - ha! Glad it worked out so well for you.
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

Dani wrote:He was probably more reasonable because he had a woman's intelligence guiding him behind the scenes, and you were probably coming from a less fearful place because you had some muscle behind you! And they say the sexes can't work together - ha! Glad it worked out so well for you.
Dani, have you forgotten that she is a Terminator (or has played one on TV)?

Geri, I was going to deduct style points for staging the high noon shoot out in front of a book store instead of a saloon, but then remembered his track record. I'm glad he accepted in full a totally reasonable set of requirements.
PaulS

Re: Here's how it worked out

Post by PaulS »

Geri Comstock wrote: What was amusing about the actual return is that I brought my husband with me in case he was difficult about it in person. He brought a female companion with him. It was like we were having a duel and we both brought our seconds with us. I had to laugh at this after we were out of earshot.

I've learned a lesson from this, which is to have my return policy printed on my receipts in the future. When, as was the case with this show, I am required to use the promoter's receipts, I will either stamp or write the return policy on the receipt.
Geri

The school of hard knocks is the best place to learn, yes and behind every great man is a woman.

Telling him "You're wrong, you're wrong, you're wrong!"

Glad to hear everything worked out amicably between you, Geri.

Paul
It ain't where you're from, it's where you're at!
Cynthia

Re: Here's how it worked out

Post by Cynthia »

Geri Comstock wrote:...I would accept a return under the following conditions:

1. He return the piece over the weekend at a time and place that was convenient for me (I don't allow clients to come to my home...ever), which happened to be in front of a bookstore I needed to go

2. The pieces be in the same condition they were in when they left my booth

3. He pay the 10% commission in cash when he made the return

I expected him to object to the third condition, but included it as a bargaining chip in case he objected to any of the other conditions.
It turned out he accepted the entire set of conditions.

I now have my pieces back and am not out of pocket the commission fee....

Geri
Yipee! \:D/ You found your win, win.
Dani

Post by Dani »

Jerry Barnett wrote:
Dani wrote:He was probably more reasonable because he had a woman's intelligence guiding him behind the scenes, and you were probably coming from a less fearful place because you had some muscle behind you! And they say the sexes can't work together - ha! Glad it worked out so well for you.
Dani, have you forgotten that she is a Terminator (or has played one on TV)?

I did forget.... and the lush, er, customer apparently never knew either. Wow, this could have turned into a completely different script! :o
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Geri, great news. Glad you laid down the law!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
lizzy_d

Post by lizzy_d »

I am glad this had a peaceful resolution!

I wanted to make a quick note on disputes with credit cards. The absolute best way to protect yourself in the case of disputes is to have your return policy on a sign in your gallery, booth, wherever you are selling ... and also printed on the receipt. This shows the credit card company that you followed the Mastercard/VISA guidelines about announcing return policies and that should end (although not super-quickly) any disputes. That way the cardholder is stuck with the charge and you get your money. This is the convenience and service that you pay for with that merchant interchange fee. I have never worked for AMEX but I have heard that they are much harder on merchants in disputes and often expect the seller to eat any disputed charges - regardless of circumstances. Just something to think about!

While I think it is nice to just suck it up and take returns and not charge for breakages, I don't think everyone is in a position to do that. Also, I don't think building goodwill with the drunk is going to be a profitable business decision in the long run. I am glad you got your 10% fee from him!