POT DROP

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

LAFFER301

POT DROP

Post by LAFFER301 »

I am trying my first drop pot this weekend and wonder what i drop it on. In the archive, they had mentioned that the BE thin fire will not stand up to the glass moving accross the surface at that high of a temperature, but i am wondering if kiln wash will stand up as well? any info (or tips) that you can provide will be very helpfull and appreciated.....
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: POT DROP

Post by Brad Walker »

LAFFER301 wrote:I am trying my first drop pot this weekend and wonder what i drop it on. In the archive, they had mentioned that the BE thin fire will not stand up to the glass moving accross the surface at that high of a temperature, but i am wondering if kiln wash will stand up as well? any info (or tips) that you can provide will be very helpfull and appreciated.....
Use kiln wash. It will probably stick to the glass and require sandblasting to remove.

You can also use a thicker fiber paper (NOT thinfire), 1/8" or so. I have had good luck with 110 paper, but there is some sticking there also (it's just easier to clean up than kiln wash)

Thin fire won't work.
Last edited by Brad Walker on Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

Pot Drop

Post by Jerry »

You will get as many answers to that question as there are people doing Pot Melts. However, you are on the right track. Anything that will otherwise stand the enviornment in your kiln will work as a place to collect your glass. Some drip directly on their shelf; kiln washed, of course. One person actually tilts his shelf so he gets an unusual amount of movement. Some use stainless steel rings to maintain an outside shape for the next step of slumping.

Other possibilities might be to use a platter mold to collect the glass which will give it the shape of the inside of the platter. Then, add a border and use the same mold to shape in. And the list goes on. Just use a fair amount of kiln wash, have steel wool to scrub off what sticks and you are on your way.

Good luck,
Jerry
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Use a good 12 coats of wash. I used less on my second drop and it stuck. Be sure to dry your shelf good also, that may have been part of my problem. An earlier post also said to coat the inside of the pot and the hole real good.

I did a high fire on 1/8 paper and it got inbedded into the bottom of the piece. Don't know if that would happen with a drop or not. I'm guessing it would.

Have fun,

Jon