Effetre/Moretti fusibles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lissa

Effetre/Moretti fusibles

Post by lissa »

I am wondering what people's experience with/opinion of the Effetre 104 COE fusible sheets might be. Are they known for the same quality as 90 and 96 COEs (Uroborus, Bullseye, Spectrum, etc.) and are there any glaring disadvantages to using the Effetre 104 in fusing? Thanks!

Lissa.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Many people have reported that although the sheets are marketed as all 104 COE, many of them are not compatible with each other. I'd suggest you do some basic compatibility testing with the sheets you want to use, especially if you're making larger pieces.
kelly alge

Post by kelly alge »

A few things I've run across with with Moretti/Effetre sheet... quality is not even close to the others. There is a lot of inconsistency with sheet thickness, even in a single 10"x10", and it's pretty prone to devit in my experience. Many of the colors are striking colors (red, orange, yellow) which means that they turn (strike) a completely different color during kiln firing. You have to be pretty meticulous in keeping your scraps bagged and labeled so that you know what you've got- the colors I mentioned look identical until they're fired. It's hard for some to design with it because you can't see what your're really getting until after it's fired. The pallete of colors is pretty slim as well, and it's expensive. I was told by a distributor that you can't bank on batch consistency, as they make their sheet glass from 1 part bad batch (whatever that is) to 2 parts good batch... depends on how it mixes and how it's cut and which part you get apparently. No matter what, you'll spend a lot of time testing, and get little to no help from the manufacturer if you have a problem or question.

The benefits to using it- you can fuse some of the millefiori and goldstone with it, you can make twisties with the rods to fuse with. (You can also fuse bullseye sheet with twisties made from bullseye rods)

Hope this helps some!
kelly alge

"An ordinary life is a crime" -eric schmider
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

I had one sheet of a green that I hated. I gave it away. I have used the rods butted together to make designs and used with the milleflori but you will like the other choices better. If you are after twisties and can do some lampwork I fused stacks into cubes of clear and dichro and then we reheated in the kiln and picked up with a punty and then flameworked and pulled with a twist. Is harder to work than rods and I was somewhat happy with the results but the dichro got pulled so thin that is was a galaxy shimmer rather than a stong filament.

Susan W
lissa

Post by lissa »

thanks for the insights, I know that the quality isn't reputed to be the same but I make murrine that I want to include in my fused pieces and I really prefer Effetre over Bullseye for that. I know from using their rods that consistancy is wacky, so it makes sense the same goes for the sheets. I'll have to play around some and see how it goes. The palette range os just so extensive with the Effetre!

thanks again, lissa.