Fused artist/Ceramist/Machinist I think NOT--Help !!!!

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

camaro

Fused artist/Ceramist/Machinist I think NOT--Help !!!!

Post by camaro »

I am trying to be creative, however my supply sources or nill or don't exist. What I have used --(I NOW KNOW NOT TO USE) is Galvenized steel as mold forms. However I did read NOT to use these because of poisionous gases, well I'm still here, don't know for how long ! haha

Anyway since I can't use galvanized metal to make forms, I have searched high and low for a stainless steel pole or pipe 3/4 in. smooth, I have contacted welders and of course the local Home Depot and Lowes, and as usual can't find what I need.

Does this mean I now have to become of ceramist in order to make forms from clay? God I hope not, it takes sooooooo loonnggggggggg.

What types of Metal can I use that is pliable enough to bend in ways to create the forms I want? Is sheet metal safe?

Does anyone have any ideas in this area to help. The books I have say
I can use steel, any steel? Is there still something I should worry about using with these metals?
Thanks for your advice, and support, down and out in TEXAS! :cry:
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Fused artist/Ceramist/Machinist I think NOT--Help !!!!

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

camaro wrote:I am trying to be creative, however my supply sources or nill or don't exist. What I have used --(I NOW KNOW NOT TO USE) is Galvenized steel as mold forms. However I did read NOT to use these because of poisionous gases, well I'm still here, don't know for how long ! haha

Anyway since I can't use galvanized metal to make forms, I have searched high and low for a stainless steel pole or pipe 3/4 in. smooth, I have contacted welders and of course the local Home Depot and Lowes, and as usual can't find what I need.

Does this mean I now have to become of ceramist in order to make forms from clay? God I hope not, it takes sooooooo loonnggggggggg.

What types of Metal can I use that is pliable enough to bend in ways to create the forms I want? Is sheet metal safe?

Does anyone have any ideas in this area to help. The books I have say
I can use steel, any steel? Is there still something I should worry about using with these metals?
Thanks for your advice, and support, down and out in TEXAS! :cry:
Look in ur business pages directory the word U want probably is stainless steel stock holders or something

U can bend stainless sheet n tension using kiln wire

:sheep:
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Camaro, you don't say where in Texas you are located. I am in Houston and have had some luck looking in the yellow pages under "Scrap". most of the dealers listed there are buyers of scrap metals. Some of them will sell to individuals while others will not. Even if they do not sell to individuals they can refer you to someone who will. Rose Metals in Houston is the sales division of another company which buys scrap metal at another location. They offer all sorts of new as well as used metal products from structural shapes to exotic alloys. You might find something where you are or you might have to go to a larger city to find a good sorce. Since you used galvanized metal and are looking for 3/4" rod I assume you used pipe. Plain or black pipe has no zinc on it and it can be kilnwashed and used in the kiln but oxidizes rapidly at kiln temps and will flake off after repeated firings. Contact me off the board if I can be of more help.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
davebross

Post by davebross »

Lots of kitchen tools/equip. are made from stainless. I love kitchen stores for finding odd glass tools in stainless.

For pipe and other stainless goodies shipped to your door:

http://www.mcmaster.com

Scrap yards, as mentioned, are great for those wild card finds.